Rounded up in Pendleton,OR


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon
September 4th 2008
Published: September 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Portland to Pendleton OR


Another beautifully fine morning and a hearty breakfast that included waffles and we were on the road again.I seemed to have picked up a mild sore throat and runny nose so hope it doesnt develop.
We found the old highway easily and started off climbing high above the mighty Columbia River to the first lookout point.From there the size of the river was apparent.It dwarfs anything in NZ.
Another viewpoint a couple of miles on at Vista Point gave great views both up and down the river.We stopped at three waterfalls that had short walks to get to them including the appropriately named Bridal Veil Falls.The light thru the trees was beautiful and as the road was quiet with traffic it made the drive very restful.Down below near the river I-84 buzzed with traffic speeding by at 65mph.We then came to the third highest waterfall in the USA at just over 600feet.Bigger crowd of people here but mostly older people as of course school is back so few if any annoying rugrats running everywhere not really wanting to be where their parents are.Theses falls were ery impressive in two drops the upper one being well over 450 feet.
The old higway came to an end after the big falls and it was onto I-84 for a short distance to Bonneville Dam where we were fascinated by the salmon swimming up the fish ladder.The interpative centre was very informative and it gave a ood insight to how the fish ladder worked.There were heaps of salmon battling their way up the ladder.As there are two low dams at the site if the ladder wasnt there then the salmon would not make it past.
Lunch at Cascades was next then a bit more of the interstate until we headed off again up to an elevated position above the river for more stunning views of the mighty river.What had changed was the green look below Cascades had given way to dry and barren surroundings not unlike parts of Central Otago.The difference was we had passed thru the watershed of the Cascade Range and the annual rainfall the area received fell dramatically.
This brought the gorge to an end and although the river was as big and wide the surrounding hills were not as high and eventually the hills gave way to what was essentially plains with the river still there.The river is navigatable for over 80 miles and we saw tug boats with barges,one carrying wood chips.
When we left the gorge at The Dalles it was back to I-84.Tried the cruise contrl again until we hit an uphill stretch and with the car cruising easily at 65mph we caught up with a truck ready to overtake but a faster moving car overtook us so I had to quickly brake to stop running up the trucks tail.That was the end of cruise control again for the day as I felt more in control with my foot on or off the pedal.
The 120 miles to our overnight stay sped by quite quick although interstates are boring and you find yourselve checking each truck you pass to see where it has come from and trying to figure out what it is carrying.
Pendleton was one of the early settlements in Eastern Oregon an has had a very bawdy past.Today it seems to be undergoing a rejuvenation and is a typical small country town of around 16000 inhabitants.We found our grocery store of Safeway and also Wal Mart(to buy a cap for me as I forgot to bring one and the sun is starting to show on me !!! ).Dinner was a delicious salad with extras of tomatoes and hard boiled eggs.All the luxeries of home.Tonight is a Super 8 on the outskirts of town with a magnificent sunset and spectacular new moon .Just as well we are not here next week when it is the annual Rodeo !!! as I guess accommodation for passerbys would be at a premium and motels probably wouldnt honour the discount vouchers

Advertisement



4th September 2008

Wow - so you're missing home then!!
What wonderful tales of your travels to date - I await further blogs. Guess you don't miss work or Dr. Phil just now?? (Or perhaps you booked to be guests on his show??) I am slowly finding my feet..... guess by the time I find them you will be back. Keep safe. CB

Tot: 0.645s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 19; qc: 87; dbt: 0.3053s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb