Boise,Idaho.....and not a potato insight


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Idaho » Boise
September 5th 2008
Published: September 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Pendleton to Boise


The day in Pendleton dawned bright and sunny andthe Super 8 motel had a hearty breakfast waiting for us.We met a woman who had cruised into Tauranga last October and then talked with a woman from Denver about wonderful NZ was.Makes you feel very proud to be a Kiwi so far from home in Eastern Oregon!!!
First stop for the day was an Indian reservation down the road on I 84.The Indians have got it right running the casionos and making their money work for them.There was an interesting museum and for an hour learnt about their history from before the white man came until today.Then it was on up I 84 to a spectacular vantage point that overlooked the massive valley Pendleton sat in.The car climbs the grades so well and manitaining 65mph was no problem.
The road then travelled across the range and down a valley to the town of La Grande,another quiet small western town with many historic buildings.Time for a stretch of the legs.
The road continued on thru parched land with little in the way of stock or crops visible until we reached Baker City here the land came arable again with plentiful water.Had a sit down lunch in Baker City as we had had no fridge the previous night and our sandwich supplies had finished.Had a stroll up the main street again with many historical buildings including one very impressive hotel beautifully maintained.The yanks certainly know how to look after thir heritage.
Back to the interstate with the road mostly haeding downhill thru the valley.
Traffic had been moderate until we hit roadworks near a cement making plant and we travelled the next half hour at a modest 30mph behind a survey car that kept the traffic to a slow speed.There were no workmen on the raod but the survey car certainly kept everyone in check.
I 84 levelled out onto a plain as we approached the Oregon/Idaho border at Ontario and before we knew it the time changed by an hour(we had gone onto Mountain time according to a sign at the border) and it was suddenley an hour later but at least the sun would go down later .
We picked out another Super 8 from the doscount book and took a braether for a coffee before heading out to buy dinner at WalMart and on downtown for a stoll amongst what seemed liked thousands of diners in the mulitude of restaurants downtown Boise.Took in the impressive Capitol and then headed back for dinner and to plan tomorrows route into the Salmon route country.
The cold seems to be getting better already and now Gretchen just hopes she can stay clear of it.the next few days should tell.
And as the title says we havent seen a potato yet in the state where the vege is supposed to be king!!,perhaps tomorrow,we shall be on the lookout.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb