Crater Lake -the deepest lake in the US


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon
October 4th 2023
Published: October 10th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Crater lake it's no wonder they made it a National Park in 1909.
This place is like nowhere else in the world. Imagine discovering this place, there is a spot called discovery point where it was discovered.
Basically a huge volcano errupted spilled out all its ash for hundreds of miles destroyed huge areas of forest then the cone collapsed in on itself creating a huge crater.
Over hundreds of thousands of years later it fills up with rain water and snow, yes, there is no Inlet or outlet and it now has a 2000 feet deep lake filling it.
The water is so clear it has moss beds growing 2000 feet at the bottom. This is why it is also so blue.

It's sight takes your breath away.

A rim road has been built around the crater started in the 1920 and is 33 miles long. It is only 2 lanes wide as they only drive model T Fords back then not the huge vehicles we are in today. Observation points all around the rim allow access to its beauty. Some are right by the side of the road some you have to hike about half a mile to.

Being the time of the year the place was empty and the camp grounds were sadly closed at the weekend as we'd planned to camp here.
It's hard to believe the park will close at the end of October until mid June due to snow. It is 5000 feet up.

We had a hike to Pinnacles overlook trail. More fossilised volcanic evidence huge Pinnacles standing erect over a gorge surrounded by pine forests. You can actually smell the pine trees all around you.

We spent all day here arriving at 10.30 from our silver creek camp site and left at 6.30 pm just before sunset to arrive at Diamond Lake RV park for the night.
Sorry about photo dump, it had to be done.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb