Traveling East across Central Oregon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon
September 28th 2023
Published: September 28th 2023
Edit Blog Post

We're playing catch up here.
We are busy travelling or just having fun during the day to blog, sorry, and our night stops are in the middle of nowhere with no signal.
Where have we been? All the fun outdoor places of course. If there's a hill we'll climb it of there's a trail we'll walk it. Oregon is an adults playground.
We left Bend after a saunter along the Deschutes river walk, and a visit to Pilot Butte, 380 feet volcanic cone down town 1 mile hike up and down with 360 views across the Cascade mountains.
Bend is very progressive, kinda hipster place with lots of micro breweries and independent coffee shops. Apparently its full of Californians who live here and work remotely.
It is beautiful.
Bend was originally a timber milling town with a population of 21 in 1900. Population now 100,000.

We visited Redmond more authentic historic place still true to its roots. The main street looks like it did in early 1900s.
Local attraction was Smith Rock state park. One if the top 3 climbing centres in the world. We did some hikes here and spent the whole day.
Our camp site was probably the best site we've ever had and will have. Prineville Reservoir State park, overlooking the lake watching the sunset and harvest moon rise with our camp fire listening to the coyotes howling in the hills.
The locals staying here were astounded that we knew about it. We have a map and are looking to stay at State parks or recreational sites only.
We're really enjoying being back on the road and looking to see what the day brings.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb