Another day, another scenic byway-Jouney through time


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon
September 29th 2023
Published: September 29th 2023
Edit Blog Post

We continued along US 26 or Journey through time scenic byway.
The marks of time are stamped across this landscape through prehistoric fossil beds, mining boomtowns and surprising sights like the Painted Hills.
55 million years of life are preserved in the rocks in this region, which is why its been given National Monument status.
Enroute we stopped at the stunningly beautiful Painted Hills.
The geological features are the random deposits of fossilised forests from millions of years ago giving rise to ochre, bronze and black colours over the hills, making them look as if Painted.

We continued from Mitchell a small but full of character town. We stopped for lunch at its one pub where it threatened to punch us in the face if we didn't buy its beer 😄. We didn't and they didn't either.

We set off on a circular trip into the countryside, Mitchell to Service Creek, Kimberly to Dayville. A trip that should have taken us 2 hrs took over 3hrs. After Service Creek we met an accident in the road and it was closed. They were waiting for the helicopter to come get the casualty. The casualty was OK but needed to be taken to the hospital ASAP.
We had a 50 minute 20 mile detour up a mountain. But hey we got to see some great scenery . We followed the John Day river for most of its route. It is the longest free flowing river in Oregon. Passing though Picture Gorge just before entering Dayville.

We headed for John Day and after 198 miles stopped 6 miles short at Clyde Holliday State recreational site. Its first come first served for camp sites and we just missed out.
The camp host looked at us saying " it's time to get you off the road" for $11 we camped in the car park overnight with full use of camp facilities.
We had a walk around the campsite and adjoining River and settled down after what was our longest drive yet.
Despite being by the road we had a quiet night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0315s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb