Portland Phase Two


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Portland
September 11th 2008
Published: September 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The day before yesterday after waking up in the Hawthorne district in Portland, Michael and I looked through some of the shops again and I got a good shirt. It is stripy black and white. We ate $8 dollar X-Large pizza 18 inches. Michael got new nipple rings that are black titanium at some "halloween" store in Hawthorne that wasn't actually halloween costumes, just good clothes and pierces.
After leaving Hawthorne we checked into the North West Portland Hostel which is closer to downtown Portland. Free "Street Cars" aka trolleys. We walked around Portland a lot with our ultimate destination being Burnside Skate Park. Wonderful! Although, it was not nearly as busy as FDR Skate Park in Philly. There was barely anyone there... only a bunch of drunk kids and a biker that rode up to us and spun his handlebars and said "you got any weeeeed?" like that. We didn't have any.
Burnside was cool. Michael accidentally stepped backwards into this guy and the guy was like "DON'T TOUCH ME I DIDN'T TOUCH YOU." It was funny.
We visited some parks and it got late then we walked around Portland more and went to Powell's books which is a 4 story book store! Afterwards we were walking the street and on a random corner we ran into Ammelle, the girl we met at the Vashon hostel. I was wrong, she is from France and has relatives in Africa, she is not from Africa. We walked her back to the hostel and then went out to a restaurant/bar with her.

Next Morning - after waking up we checked into another room in the same hostel. One bed is really big. It is traditionally a 4 person family private room. But, instead it is just me and 2 other guys I haven't met.
Today we went to this waterfall park called Ira Keller Fountains and another fountain park. Nice. Portland has more to see around the corners, but we don't know about it. We are going to leave for route 101 tomorrow morning, cause there are a whole bunch of camp grounds off of that highway, and it is right near the coast so there probably is water and beaches.
We also we to the waterfront today and forgot to go to the Portland Walking Tours. We wanted to do the haunted night tour. Maybe we still can.
We went to a place called The Tube because it looks like a tube and the girl on the "street car" told us we should go there. It had pictures of rabbits on the walls with red eyes. It was a vegan place and the food was so good there.
People in Portland seem night. Even the bums don't hassle you as much as other places.
When we were walking around Portland earlier yesterday we walked past this marina. There were all these shops lined up facing the marina, almost like a boardwalk but without the attractions or rides. We were in the southeast corner of Portland when we got the trolley back up to northwest. This lady there was fascinated about our trip. She worked as an assistant for an engineering company or something. Whatever. She told us about this place called Dixie's which is actually a bar with one of those mechanical bulls. We passed by it.
This trolley is when the blond girl on the trolley street car told us about The Tube. She also told us about some strip club.

LONG... Why am I writing?


Additional photos below
Photos: 101, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



11th September 2008

Hey
What up with the cake? Nice shirt! Roxy cries for you every night!
14th September 2008

Vegas
Any chance you are going to make it to Vegas by the 25th? If not please start looking for a cheap flight from somewhere to there or home. What exactly are you guys doing for breakfast, lunch and dinner each day?

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb