You are now entering Portland


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Portland
September 9th 2008
Published: September 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Leaving Vashon Island 71 secs
After a two night fantasy stay at Vashon Island, Washington Michael and I decided to move on south towards Portland. Now we are here at the Hawthorne Hostel in Portland, Oregon!
Michael and I have decided that Naya and Mina are cool Taiwanese gals that we met at the Vashon hostel. There are many pictures of many of the people that we met at Vashon. Brian from San Francisco, Oliver from Germany, Sean from Korea, Naya and Mina from Taiwan, and another girl whose name has fled me from South Africa. Needless to say we are meeting people from all over the world!!!
The second night at the Vashon Hostel we decided that if we didn't pay the first night we still would have been able to stay with zero problems. Therefore, we stayed the second night for free! That place is great, I really think it was like a fantasy to be there.

Anyway, Portland. Ah, Portland. I don't know much about you, but I am inside of you. We called the Hawthorne Hostel at noon yesterday and luckily somebody had canceled so we were able to get two beds. The second night was booked though, so we'll be staying at a different hostel near downtown Portland tomorrow night and our stuff will be there today-ish.
On the way here we stopped in Tillicum, WA and got some tacos!!!!!!!!!! Tacos are wonderful.
I kept falling asleep in the passenger seat of the car. I couldn't stay awake.
Last night, in Portland, we went to a bar and played some pool and drank some drinks. We were told by Happy, who is one of the guys who works at the Hawthorne Hostel, that it is sort of a local bar. His name is Happy and he seemed very happy!
So after that we went back to the hostel and ate bagels that were free... compliments of some local bagel shop around here.
It seems that Portland is all about the local-independent shops. The really don't like chains. Although, there are some chains... most of the stores we passed by were locally owned independent shops. Very cool. Also, we passed by many clothes exchange stores where you sell your clothes to them for cash or credit and buy more clothes there. One of the stores was 40% cash and 50% store credit. They were closed though because it was late.
On the way through Portland we passed by O'Bryant Square a.k.a. Paranoid Park. I want to go anf get a picture there today. Also we drove down Burnside Street and over the Burnside bridge. I was really, really exicted because Burnside Skate Park was right underneath of our car! I can't wait to go and see Burnside today!

Here are many pictures from Vashon Island and some on the trip to Portland.

-Sean Laurence Coughlin


Additional photos below
Photos: 61, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



10th September 2008

lots of people
i can't believe all of the different types of people you and michael met and especially the taiwan girls and them cooking for you, u just missed my special chicken cutlets i cooked for jamie, they were delicious....enjoy oregon!!!!!!!!!!!!!i gave roxy some treats!!!!!!!!!!! mommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb