OKLAHOMA, JULY 7, 2010


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oklahoma
July 7th 2010
Published: July 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

July 7, 2010
Nice to have air conditioning last night. Made for better sleep for sure. We left the campground early and went to do laundry in Chandler. I forgot just how much I hate Laundromats.

Took pictures on the way out of Chandler of all the things named Lincoln in honor of our granddaughter, Lincoln. Also a 1930s Phillips 66 station in the process of being restored. Then , headed for Luther (the Boundrey BBQ housed in an old gas station, and an old stone service station build in the late teens or early 20s. )

In Luther there is also a piece of old 66. The first part is the original Portland Concrete built in 1928 and the second part is Blacktop over concrete with curbs built in 1929.

Arcadia has a 1898 Round Barn . The upstairs is used for dances and events. On the way out of town is Pops Food, Fuel, and Fizz. The pop plant is behind the station/café/gift shop. They make 400 varieties of soda pop. We bought some Rt. 66 Root Beer and a bottle of Sasparilla.

On to Bethany and El Reno (Fort Reno here). From here we drove miles and miles of old curbed 66. Straight road all the way-you could see it for miles ahead. Crossed the very long Pony Bridge (Ange is holding the umbrella over me while I take the picture) and on into Weatherford where we will spend the night. Today there was a dead skunk in the middle of the road.

Through all of this we drove through some of the most horrific rain and wind you can imagine. We did pull off twice to sit it out.
“No” Tree, there were no old shoes lying around the old shoe factory. You will be proud of me though because I fashioned a pen on a rope for myself because I kept losing my pen in the van while taking notes and pictures.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



7th July 2010

Sky
You are definitely in "Big Sky " country & will be for a loonnggg time. Tony & I drove out to visit my Aunt, Uncle & brood years ago when they lived in Oklahoma City. I do remember cottonwood trees, oil derricks on the Capitol's lawn, the fact that they claim to have more lake shore line than any other state, and the HORRENDOUS thunder storms! One feels so vulnerable...they are right on top of you & there is no place to hide. Be watchful & careful, my dears...& keep on blogging!
8th July 2010

what?
What? No picture of the pen and string????? Love your sandals. Oklahoma looks a little bit boring. Waiting for next update! Have fun!!! l
8th July 2010

wow!
i'm glad that you and grandpa are having a good time thanks for taking all those pictures they were nice. But poor animals. I hope you guys have lots of more many great adventures love THE BUDASI FAMILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tot: 0.421s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.122s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb