From Council Grove to Sallisaw


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oklahoma » Sallisaw
May 25th 2010
Published: June 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Tall grass prairieTall grass prairieTall grass prairie

Part of the Tall Grass Prairie Preserve south of Council Grove, a national park site where restoration of the prairie ecosystem is underway.
Monday, May 24th and Tuesday, May 25th.

After we break camp, we take the scenic byway through the heart of the Flint Hills area of Kansas. We stop at the Tall Grass Prairie Preserve, a National Park site that is restoring the native grasslands which covered much of the Midwest before the area was settled by farmers.This area is relatively untouched because of the thick layer of flint lying just below the surface of the grass, making the ground impractical for plowing.

We take a ride far out in the prairie, where no human habitation can be seen. A small herd of buffalo, recently established as part of the natural ecosystem, graze near the road, indifferent to our passing bus. We enjoy seeing the vistas and the wide variety of grasses, birds and wildflowers.

On the way out, we take time to check out a rancher’s mansion on the property and his three-story stone barn which is now a museum of farm implements. Then we head south towards Oklahoma to visit friends in Sallisaw. We stop for the night at a motel in Nowata, Oklahoma (where, apparently, they once had no "wata").

The next day we reach
Flint rockFlint rockFlint rock

The rocky soil prevented this area from being plowed, making restoration easier.
Sallisaw after stopping at a roadside winery in Vinita. We visit with long-time friend Donald McDaniel and his son Mike, catch up on our laundry, and experience a huge thunderstorm. (Luckily, we were inside since we had decided to stay in a motel.) We run out to move the car under a shelter when we hear hailstorm warnings predicting golf-ball sized hail. We have been fortunate with the weather so far. Some near misses, but no real disasters. Tomorrow we head for the Ozarks.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

wildflowerswildflowers
wildflowers

Many small wildflowers dot the prairie.
Collared Lizard?Collared Lizard?
Collared Lizard?

Can you spot the collared lizard sunning herself on the rock? (Hint: look about dead center of the photo.)
Jones MansionJones Mansion
Jones Mansion

The rancher who once used the prairie as grazing land built a fancy mansion which is now a museum.
Dry stone wallDry stone wall
Dry stone wall

Built with local stone, this old wall has no mortar. The stones along the top help stabilize the wall.
Three-story stone barnThree-story stone barn
Three-story stone barn

This impressive barn, now a museum, was built out of the local Cottonwood Limestone.
Side view of the barnSide view of the barn
Side view of the barn

The barn was built in the Dutch style with a gambrel roof, which is popular throughout the midwest.
 woodworking tools woodworking tools
woodworking tools

Part of the tool collection in the barn.
Wines in OklahomaWines in Oklahoma
Wines in Oklahoma

Several states are now growing and marketing local wines. We thought it only fair to sample some. This winery had a nice fruity Vignole.


Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb