From Salina to Council Grove


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kansas » Abilene
May 23rd 2010
Published: June 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Eisenhower Library and MuseumEisenhower Library and MuseumEisenhower Library and Museum

The grounds of the Presidential Library are on property once owned by Eisenhower's family.
Sunday May 23rd

This morning we visit the Eisenhower Presidential Library in Abilene. We view a film about his life and his presidential years and walk around the beautiful grounds which contain Ike’s boyhood home. We then head south to historic Council Grove where many wagon trains stocked up on supplies for the trek west along the Santa Fe Trail. Many stately homes and public buildings. We find a great campsite at Lake Council Grove just outside town.

We are finding that “camping” apparently means “RVing” nowadays, and frequently campgrounds do not have spaces for tents, or if they do, the campsites are “primitive”, ie. no running water or restrooms, just a picnic table, fire ring and an occasional “vault” (pit) toilet (definitely not to my standard). This campsite was a pleasant surprise, with a nice shaded grassy area to pitch a tent, a water spigot and a “showerhouse” close by, with a great view of the lake. A beautiful sunset and a tasty dinner and all is well.

NOTE TO DEAR READERS: due to the difficulty in finding internet connections and slight computer malfunctions, I am lagging more than I would like on my blog entries. The
Eisenhower boyhood homeEisenhower boyhood homeEisenhower boyhood home

Eisenhower and his brothers were raised in this home on the Library grounds.
posting date is the date we were actually in the area, rather than the day I have internet access. I am working to catch up to the actual date.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Drive through Flint Hills area of KansasDrive through Flint Hills area of Kansas
Drive through Flint Hills area of Kansas

Much of the Flint Hills have never been farmed because of the rocky flint just below the surface.
Council Grove homeCouncil Grove home
Council Grove home

Council Grove contains many large well-preserved homes.
Now to put everything in its place.Now to put everything in its place.
Now to put everything in its place.

Leigh has a definite packing order and location to make sure everything fits in our car trunk.


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb