From Lake Pueblo Colorado to Salina Kansas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kansas » Great Bend
May 22nd 2010
Published: June 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Lake Pueblo State ParkLake Pueblo State ParkLake Pueblo State Park

Early morning light
May 21st. We find a beautiful campsite at Lake Pueblo along a reservoir. The lighting is beautiful and there are many wildflowers in bloom. As we drive east, we move into cattle country and see many cattle on the range--and many in muddy, smelly feedlots or cattle trucks. We stop for the night at an RV camp named Gunsmoke just outside of Dodge City. The tent area is nice--and deserted. We have our area of the park to ourselves.

The next morning we decide to skip the cowboy tourist stuff in Dodge City and head for Quivira Wildlife Refuge, a large marsh area that is an important stopping point for thousands of birds during the spring and fall migrations. We are there too late for the big flocks but see many birds and other critters and have a thoroughly delightful time with our binoculars and bird books. We drive north through Cheyenne Bottoms, another marsh area refuge, on our way to Abilene. We stop for the night in Salina, Kansas.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

WildflowersWildflowers
Wildflowers

There are a variety of wildflowers everywhere we look.
Quivira National Wildlife RefugeQuivira National Wildlife Refuge
Quivira National Wildlife Refuge

Our first destination is the Refuge which is on the major flyway for migrating birds.
marshlandsmarshlands
marshlands

We are too late in the season to see any huge flocks of birds, but we spot at least 20 different types of birds...
more marshlandsmore marshlands
more marshlands

...anywhere from white pelicans and kildeer to yellow-headed blackbirds.
Pond sliderPond slider
Pond slider

We also see other critters like turtles cruising along the road...
BullsnakeBullsnake
Bullsnake

...a bullsnake in search of rats who seems irritated that we've disturbed his snooze on the warm road...
Missaugua rattlesnakeMissaugua rattlesnake
Missaugua rattlesnake

....and this little 3-foot rattler who coils as Leigh approaches with his camera (zoom lens used!)


Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb