Pike's Peak to Lake Pueblo


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Pueblo
May 20th 2010
Published: June 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Driving up Pike's PeakDriving up Pike's PeakDriving up Pike's Peak

As we start the climb, the day is clear with clouds in the distance.
May 20th. This morning we take the 19 mile drive up to Pike's Peak, although the weather conditions probably won't allow us to reach the peak. The day is somewhat overcast but we still have great visibility. We stop to take a lot of photos. After many switchbacks on the steep slope, we are stopped at 16 miles up by icy road conditions so we head back down the mountain. We visit the Manitou Springs Cliff Dwellings at the foot of Pike's Peak and enjoy walking through the ancient Anasazi structures. From there we head south to the Royal Gorge to cross the famous bridge high over the Royal Gorge canyon. As the sun moves toward the horizon we head for Lake Pueblo on the eastern border of Colorado where we hope to find a campsite.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Near the topNear the top
Near the top

As we approach the top through a series of switchbacks, the clouds close in to cover the peak.
Taking photosTaking photos
Taking photos

Although it is cold and windy, we stop frequently to take photos.
Red foxRed fox
Red fox

As we drive slowly down the mountain, we notice that a fox is following us and other cars, perhaps looking for a handout. He comes very close. You can see him approaching close to me in the previous photo.
View of Colorado SpringsView of Colorado Springs
View of Colorado Springs

As we continue down the mountain, we see Colorado Springs far below.
Manitou Springs cliff dwellingsManitou Springs cliff dwellings
Manitou Springs cliff dwellings

At the bottom of the drive we stop at Manitou Springs where we visit the well-preserved cliff dwellings of the Anasazi basket-making culture. Interesting museum about their culture and crafts.
inside cliff dwellingsinside cliff dwellings
inside cliff dwellings

It was interesting to see the architecture and careful construction of the dwellings.
cliffside scenerycliffside scenery
cliffside scenery

The desert plants and scenery added to the interest.
South to Royal GorgeSouth to Royal Gorge
South to Royal Gorge

We then drove south into semi-arid country and canyon land to check out the famous bridge over the Royal Gorge.
View of bridgeView of bridge
View of bridge

The suspension bridge can be seen from a distance.
Walk on bridgeWalk on bridge
Walk on bridge

The suspension bridge sways as you walk across.
View from tramView from tram
View from tram

Leigh rode the cable tram over the gorge. I stayed on the loading platform.
on tramon tram
on tram

He did get some nice photos of the canyon walls and the river below.
view of gorgeview of gorge
view of gorge

It's hard to get the true perspective of just how far down it is to the bottom of the gorge.
Campsite at Lake PuebloCampsite at Lake Pueblo
Campsite at Lake Pueblo

Time to call it a day.


2nd June 2010

great pics!
what a beautiful place, loved the pics, have fun! d

Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0736s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb