The Ozarks to Kansas City


Advertisement
North America
May 28th 2010
Published: June 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Ozarks VistaOzarks VistaOzarks Vista

The Ozarks are still wild country, green as far as the eye can see.
Thursday May 27th through Sunday, May 30th.
Today we head for Kansas City from Sallisaw, Oklahoma via the Ozarks. The Ozarks extend through parts of Arkansas up through western Missouri. We stop at vista points along the way and set up camp at Table Rock State Park which is just outside of Branson, Missouri.

Then we check out the bright lights of Branson and the crowds pouring in for the upcoming Memorial Day weekend. We stop at Stone Hill Winery to sample some Missouri wines and take a short tour. Most of the people at the wine tasting bar seem to prefer the sweeter white wines which we didn't particularly care for. The reds also tended to be thinner than California reds. The types of grapes that will grow there (Norton, Catawba, and Concord), the climate, and local customer preference probably all have affected the way the wines have been developed. Some interesting variations.

The next morning we continue through the Missouri Ozarks, enjoying the miles of green in every direction. As we approach closer to Kansas City, the trees of the Ozarks give way to rolling hills and farmland. Early in the afternoon, we arrive in Overland Park
Ozark WildflowersOzark WildflowersOzark Wildflowers

The Ozarks are also filled with many shrubs and wildflowers.
where Laurie's aunt Helen lives. We spend the next three days visiting with Helen and our Kansas cousins who give us a tour of downtown Kansas City and introduce us to Kansas City style barbecue. We spend a lot of time talking with Helen about family history since we plan to visit Mexico, MO where the Thomas family settled back in 1837 and fill in some pieces of the family genealogy.





Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Ozarks ButterflyOzarks Butterfly
Ozarks Butterfly

We also see many birds and butterflies.
Campsite at Table RockCampsite at Table Rock
Campsite at Table Rock

Dinner preparations at the campsite just outside of Branson.
Stone Hill WineryStone Hill Winery
Stone Hill Winery

We stop in at one of the better known Missouri wineries.
The Kansas Katy TrailThe Kansas Katy Trail
The Kansas Katy Trail

We stop by a kiosk for the Katy Trail, a bicycle trail that extends along an abandoned KT railroad easement for nearly the whole width of Kansas.


Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb