Memphis and Oklahoma For Food and Family


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oklahoma » Atoka
October 13th 2018
Published: November 8th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Every trip on I-40 that includes driving thru Memphis, must include a stop for ribs. Back, probably 2004 I was working a windstorm there, living in the RV park across from Graceland. I was in a drugstore and started talking with someone. I’d mentioned that I wanted to eat at the Rendezvous, written up in Bon Appetit, I believe. Anyway, this little old lady comes up and said no, you must eat at this other restaurant. I did and believe that they have the best ribs ever.

I’ve stopped at this little restaurant every trip thru Memphis, and usually, take a rack of ribs home in the RV freezer. One friend left unnamed, wanted to lick the plate!

This trip was no different;

GPS said that we could get to Memphis in about 12.5 hours. 14 hours and with 45 minutes to spare before they would close, we parked and ran in. Sure enough, the ribs did not disappoint, we stuffed ourselves, not leaving a scrap of food. We did buy an extra rack of ribs for the freezer.

From Memphis, we had another drive, on to Oklahoma. We had to take a small detour to the south-east corner of the state, but we had to make this stop. I have cousins in the area and we stop to visit whenever we can.

On our way to Atoka, we had the expected happen, we were stopped for no license plate on the RV. Fortunately, we had our registration ready and got off with a warning.

We met my cousins Barbra and her daughter Mischelle for lunch in the little town of Atoka, where Zaya met these cousins for the first time. I gave Zaya the history assignment of interviewing Barbra, who grew up in that area under much different circumstances than my own mom. Zaya made up her own questions and had a nice conversation with Barbra.

After Atoka, we drove up past Oklahoma City and met another cousin, Royaline and her husband Jerry for dinner. For dinner, Royaline and Jerry took us to a restaurant full of collectibles. So many signs and things from old Coke machines to little items. It had an old-timey feel, fortunately, cousins are not OLD!



It was great to catch up with family.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.489s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb