A few...different...experiences


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Ohio
July 15th 2008
Published: July 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well we are like mid-way into music camp now...its quite cool to walk through camp and hear a load of little kids sing or play some form of instrument! The majority of them listen as well...thats quite nice!
Programme staff have more time off than usual because there are music classes here instead of clubs and our programme areas have to be shorter so that they can fit everything musical in...its nice but harder on the councellors because they have to get their kids from one place to another. The councellors are also under quite a lot of pressure at the moment as well because of two staff members getting fired...everything that the councellors do now is monitored. They have been told to do some weird things like be in the bathroom and bedrooms with the kids at all times to make sure that nothing dodgey goes on...hmmm!

Had a few different experiences this week.
*Cleaned out my first goat pen ever! Took me 2 hours and it was sooooo hot and very smelly in there but it made me feel good afterwards cos i did something productive 😊
*Was in a drama skit (a.k.a drama sketch) about the walls of Jericho and had a crate hit me on the head...so in affect i was injured by the falling wall of Jericho...not something u hear everyday so thought i would share it with u guys!
*Have been invited to a Brazillian wedding in November...really wanna go but really doubt i'll b able to cos of uni and expenses 😞
*Have been asked out by a camper...yer it weirded me out cos it wasnt just one comment and that was the end of it...it was like constant hugs, compliments, a marriage purposal (apparently he wouldnt mind if i got old and wrinkly...hmmm) and him sharing that he had family in England so he could come and visit me some time...that kinda freaked me out. I hope i see him a little less around camp...

So yer thats pretty much my week so far.

They have put on some themed days this week to get up camp morale. Crazy hair day was the day the kids arrived...i liked that one. Also have had Brazillian colour day and twin day (didnt have a partner so couldnt take part in that). Think we are also having a PJ day...not sure the other themes. There was an opposites day (girls dress and boys and vice versa) but Captain stopped it for some reason...mayb he thought it would mess the kids up!

Also helped out with some homesick campers during one of my nightwatches and taught a girl how to pray....that was pretty cool 😊 one of the campers even said that she doesnt really miss her mum all that much at the moment and that she thinks she can get through camp...thats the kind of breakthrough that i like to hear about. Of course not all the kids can be that quick at coming to terms with being away from home but i can kinda understand where they are coming from since im so far away from home myself!

Am writing as many encourgaging letters and notes to camp staff as i can before the camp session ends. Not long till some of the American staff leave...they leave the end of July whereas the Internation staff dont start leaving till the 2nd week of August and some of them are even staying till September!

Received three letters from the outside world yesterday 😊 made me smile! Thanks to those people who put in the effort to sent them, they were very much appreciated :D all the encouragement i get is very touching and helps me so much!

Watching Godspell tonight...a drama group called CAST have come to camp and are working with the campers. Some of them have already taken the mick out of the British when they were trying to make the kids laugh...they werent aware that the camp had any british staff in the audience. Like they impersenated what a british person walks like...so inaccurate but it made the kids laugh and the staff had a good laugh at my reaction.
CAST are putting on a performance tonight. Think it is some kind of musical! Should be interesting!

Missing everyone loads! Wish the weather was better for u guys but hope ur having a good summer regardless!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb