Frosty Day in Bismarck, North Dakota


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » North Dakota » Bismarck
February 3rd 2008
Published: February 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

We're having one of those rare days of winter today. When you wake up and the trees are thick and heavy with frost. So beautiful. There's a heavy fog as well despite it not being that cold (in North Dakota terms) at degrees in the mid 20s. I was hoping for a little sun to poke through to make for some gorgoeous photos but the forecast states it's unlikely so heavy fog for the day is what I get to work with it.

Headed out this morning to what caught my eye in the frost. Went straight to the Missouri River to get some photos along the partially frozen river. The Missouri is a very large and fast moving river. It will often free over in winter but there can also be open areas which remain throughout most of the winter because of currents. I was not alone, there were several of us out and about taking photos.

Bismarck has a very old and still used railroad bridge which always makes for some nice photos. The City has also been working in the past several years to support more public art throughout the city. Near the River you will
Statue on Capitol GroundsStatue on Capitol GroundsStatue on Capitol Grounds

My favorite on the grounds.
find some of the art the City has supported which has been created by students at the United Tribes Technical College. I really support the city's actions in this. The students have done a great job in varying styles and colors. It might not be art everyone likes, but let's face it, that's what makes art art. This year, the City also officially designated the "Cathedral District" which is the heart of the city with the large, older homes located near the Catholic Cathedral. Other private donors have also started adding more art to the City. Each year you see more statues and small water displays. Bismarck has been severely lacking in public art so the growth has been wonderful to see.

I also drove along the River a few miles hoping I might get lucky and be able to grab a picture of a pheasant. Would have been so pretty to have gotten a photo of the colorful bird up against the white snow but I couldn't get close enough to any to make it worthwhile. They are still so used to getting shot at that you can't get within 100 yards of them this time of year.

I also stopped by the Bismarck Capitol which was fairly hidden by the fog. Had to take a photo of my favorite statue on the Capitol grounds of a horse. There are several other statues as well but this one has always been my favorite.

Then, I finished by morning by heading over to one of my favorite overlooks of the Missouri River for some final photos. If this sun comes out, I'll head back to snap some more but the clouds remain heavy. It was a very pretty morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Railroad BridgeRailroad Bridge
Railroad Bridge

Over frozen Missouri River.
Railroad Bridge in FogRailroad Bridge in Fog
Railroad Bridge in Fog

Over frozen Missouri River.
Railroad Bridge OverlookRailroad Bridge Overlook
Railroad Bridge Overlook

with frozen Missouri River.


7th February 2008

beautiful day
very cool pictures...makes our town look soo serene and peaceful :)
12th February 2008

Bismarck, ND
Very nice of you to capture your hometown in the dream-like state that some special snow storms produce now and then... It looks like a really nice place to live!

Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 104; dbt: 0.1164s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb