American Booty: ROAD TRIP!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » Niagara Falls
October 7th 2006
Published: October 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The cats definitely kept me warm all through the night. Dani said that it was one of the coldest nights lately but I didn’t feel such coldness. All I felt was the seediness of way too many Otter Creeks as well as combined beers from karaoke.

I did all my packing last night and so did Dani so it wasn’t too long after we woke up that we began on our way at 10am. It was a perfect Saturday morning in the season of Fall, to be out. A convoy of RVs had the same idea and we were stuck behind them for about 30 miles as they cruised down the roads, having a look at all the leaves changing on all the trees by the side of the road.

In all our ranting and raving on about how these people should just pull over and make out with leaves, I made the first mistake and got Dani lost, telling her to turn right at Whitehall, NY instead of turning left and heading south so that we could follow the I87. It was quickly rectified and we were soon on our way ahead.

The Vermont Highway Patrol are one of the more notorious gun-ho patrolmen of the whole USA, especially when it comes to fines. Before you can even reach the speed limit, they will be waiting for you, ready to ruin your weekend with a whopper of a fine. The New York State Highway Patrol are also ever prominent on the I87 heading south, hiding in bushes and pulled over the side of the road, ready to pounce upon anyone exceeding the speed limit. It’s Thanksgiving Day in Canada on Monday, so there would be a lot of traffic heading over the border this weekend, as well as Highway Patrolmen ready to make a lot of money.

We’re using Mapquest’s directions to guide us on our way towards the border. We will make the border crossing near Niagara Falls and the whole journey should take us just over 7 hours, provided we stick to the directions. Already, we’ve had one wrong turn this morning and Dani wonders if I’m leading her along the wrong path again when we turn off the I87 at Saratoga Springs. According to Mapquest, this is where Highway 29 begins! As we slowly roll out of the town with its antique
Dani at the wheelDani at the wheelDani at the wheel

And I'm her trusty steed!
markets by the side of the road and bustling restaurants, it turns back into fast travelling highway, with lush vegetation and trees ready to shed by the side of the road.

Another silly moment would come when we reached Highway 30. I quickly looked at the directions and it said to turn onto Highway 30. What I didn’t see was that the directions actually said 30A! We could have continued on our way, but Dani and I decided it was best to go back to Highway 29 and continue on our merry way. Another 5 miles wasted! Good going, Johnny!

We eventually found 30A and took that down to the New York Thruway, I90. Dani needed to rest her legs for a bit and we stopped off at a truck stop to give her truck a breather. The brakes were coping a lot better today than they did when we went up Mt. Equinox. I ventured into the gas station to take out some cash and was amazed at the amount of pornos that were in here, catering for all the truck drivers. I just hoped no truckie would try their charms on Dani while she took a break from all the driving we had done thus far!

We got back on the road and hit the I90. The radio was turned up once we found a local radio station that played an assortment of 80s hits. J Geils’ Band’s Freeze Frame came on and we both let out a big roar! Immediately, we both had an urge to go out dancing. But there was Toronto to be conquered, and we steamed westwards through Utica, Syracuse, Rochester and finally Buffalo, before making the crossing into Canada.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Niagara FallsNiagara Falls
Niagara Falls

But not a famous waterfall to be seen?


Tot: 0.278s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 13; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0726s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb