Getting to New York


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York
August 14th 2006
Published: August 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Longest Day



After Catherine managed to get us booked on a flight the day after we had been cancelled we waited with some trepidation for the morning as we would know reasonably accurately whether our flight had been cancelled. Luckily for us and not for others it was VS26 that was cancelled this time.

So it was another trip to the airport. We left at 12:45 and arrived about 13:30 just as it was time for our flight to go into the terminal. We joined a queue - a BIG queue… by 15:30 we had checked in…. how could the flight possibly leave by 16:00? Answer it couldn’t - we got through the first body search and then queued for the second to get on the plane. The second search was on everyone including the kids. Finally getting on the plane about 16:45. At 18:00 the plane left (which surprisingly was the exact slot that VS26 would have had).

Good flight lots to do, food was OK, games to play!

We arrived at JFK at about 20:00 and joined the immigration queue. After 2 hours we had been fingerprinted and had our photos taken, and picked up our bags. Expecting to see the taxi driver we had organised outside we were surprised not to find him there. So I phoned the firm and they said he was about to leave from Area D. Going outside expecting to see the SUV I had ordered we were surprised to find a huge white limousine, you know one of those with the flashing lights. Not a problem in we climbed and very comfortable it was too as we travelled across New York to the hotel including going through Times Square.

I should have been concerned when the taxi driver asked if we’d ever been to the hotel before. Then he stopped in a garage to have a look at a map, followed by a hotel, then another hotel, then a fire station… and finally another hotel where I got out and asked the nice lady to write down instruction which I read back to him.. at 12:30 we arrived at the hotel, checked in and went to bed. Hopefully to sleep through until 7.00 am. at least.

At the end of the day we had reached New York so that we could continue with our holiday and we’d had a great trip in a limo.

The taxi driver was last seen leaving the front of the hotel. We are unsure of whether he ever made it back to Queens. Should you see a white limo driving round Secaucus looking for a way out you will know why.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0667s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb