New York. The big apple, and my last City destination


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York
May 6th 2006
Published: May 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

New York New York New York

View over the City from the 86th floor of The Empire State Building
We left the campsite in Washington, the last night of camping on this trip, and drove to Philadelphia.

We stopped in Philly for lunch, and again for a whirlwind look around the City, and it looks a huge place with many people.

Back in the car and on the road, to the last destination of my tour, New York. I had never been to the States before, so I was particularly looking forward to coming here. We found our hostel which is close to Central Park, and the Bronx. After checking in we walked down the avenue until we reached 72nd street and the Dakota buildings. Infamous, as this is where John Lennon was murdered as he got out of his car to enter his apartment in the building. I spoke to the porter of the building, and he explained to me what happened that day, and showed me where it happened. Across the road is Central Park, and the memorial part of the park dedicated to Lennon, Strawberry Fields, and a simple monument to him in the ground, with 'Imagine' written across it.

From there we walked out of Central Park, and to the start of Broadway.
Strawberry FieldsStrawberry FieldsStrawberry Fields

Central Park in New York, not far from where John Lennon lived in the Dakota buildings, and where he was sadly shot by Mark Chapman
A huge building dwarfs the sky, Trump Towers. From here al the way down to Times Square, passing many theatres such as the Ed Sullivan theatre, home of Lettermans Late Show. The bright lights of Times Square are incredible, the whole place swarming with people and Yellow cabs. The City is alive here. We walked around, taking many pictures and taking in the sights, and then went to an Italian restaurant, and had a few drinks. I also visited the Hard rock cafe, located in the old Paramount Theatre building, where Sinatra would sing and people would queue forever to get tickets. Hard Rock have a huge collection of Rock n Roll memorbilia here, including Beatles uniforms, and thing from Jim Morrison, to Hendrix, a really interesting place again. It was now late and again was very tired, so back to the hostel to sleep.

The next morning I got up and checked out of the hostel, and in to my hotel , which was ideally located right on Times Square. I spent the day walking around all the famous sights, Empire State building, Macys, the Iron building, down to the World Trade Centre or Ground Zero as it
Times SquareTimes SquareTimes Square

An incredible place in the City that never sleeps
unfortunately is now. The down to Battery Park to get a glimpse of the Statue of Liberty, which further out in to the water than I thought it would be. From there back up town to Canal Street and China town. And then back up to the hotel for a well earned rest! Then that night I took a bus night time tour of the City, to see everything lit up. It was fantastic, a breathtaking sight, maybe one of the best things I've seen on my travels,to see New York and Brooklyn Bridge at night from Manhattan bridge, truly amazing. Like a postcard.

The tour tok 2 hours, and we saw many famous sights. Then for a quick cup of tea, and back to the hotel. I watched Saturday night live, presented by Tom Hanks. They had the Red Hot Chili Peppers playing live, this must have been close to my hotel somewhere in this great City.

Another brilliant day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Times SquareTimes Square
Times Square

Times Square by day


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1021.7kb