Sing it Frank!..... Dun dun der der der


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
September 14th 2006
Published: September 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well folks, we threw in this stop in NY for 3 days since it came for free with the OneWorld and were not disappointed. It certainly is one big kick-ass city - yu-no-wat-am-sayin-brother....

It really is true how this place is portrayed on the movies... We got an airport shuttle bus from JFK to a hostel we'd booked in Haarlem 127th Street, Manhattan Island. First time we had taken the dorm option and what a reminder of dorm life it was with 12-14 beds in each room. As recommended by our Andrew, rock climber/ biking pro friend from canada, DONT STAY IN A DORM WITH MORE THAN 8 if you can help it.

Top tip: You dont need the lonely planet for NY, just pick up a free copy of the Time-Out mag in your hostel. Its the best friend you can have in the city to find out the latest in places to eat, have a laugh and take in the sights. Plus it has the budget resident in mind.

Based on this hot tip, we found this little place deep in the stomach of 'arlem. Charles Southern Style Kitchen on Frederick Douglas Blvd (bet. 151st and 152nd street) has the most yummilicious Southern home cooking, pile-on-the-carbs, comfort food your momma (didnt think of making - not asian mammas anyway) food. BBQ rib tips dripping in sauce and candied yams, fried chicken with collard greens etc. IF we had the 7 stomachs of the cow, we would have tried it all, but unfortunately, we dont!

There are a number of things we would have liked to do the next time (if ever) we go again. Catch a show, catch a comedy show at that; the MUSEUMS!!!!! (buy the $53 compact ticket that lets you do empire state building, see the statue of liberty, googenheim museum etc),

Its a city to spend spend spend to make the most of it.... however, we enjoyed ourselves with a nice walk through central park (did you know the carousel that is many movies is there), sitting on the free ferry to Staten Island and hanging in the hood with Les from RAW barber shop. When you have brothers, you cool man... you with the peeps!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



18th September 2006

Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy
Great to hear that you guys are having such a blast, travelling this wondering world. Have a blast and travel safe. Journey Mercies, San and Richy!
18th September 2006

Your biology is crap!
Cow's only have 4 stomaches lah dum dum...not 7!!! Where did YOU study? Singapore? heh heh...
21st September 2006

Someone's getting married.....
UPDATE : Not sure if they appreciate me putting it here for the rest of the world to see, so I'll leave their "real" names out for now, Ah Pek ( yeah you know which one...) finally popped the BIG QUESTION... Hope you guys having a whale of a time :)

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb