Summary Impressions of West Canada


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada
September 11th 2006
Published: September 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We found West Canada (British Columbia and Alberta) to be an extremely relaxed, hospitable place well connected by excellently serviced public transportion (Vancouver bus drivers, VIA train commentary) and even in rural areas considering how spreadout everything is. We encountered zero uptight or rude people the whole trip! For the Asian pocket, prices are steep so be prepared to put in the extra dollar.

Average spend was 50CAD per night for both of us for accommodation, (however 3 nights where free with Harry and Ellen,) 55CAD per day for both for food and 107CAD for all else (travel, misc, etc.) If we travelled on this budget for a year we would chalk up 70,000USD bill 0 expecting projected cost to go down quiet a bit when we hit a more relaxed, cheaper schedule in South America.

The natural environment is as good as it gets. Combined with the boundless options for adventure in any style of travel you wish, BC alone leaves even the older locals feeling they have not done the place justice. We were well impressed with the quality of Canada Parks Info centres, upkeep and info at locations - info boards. Well done guys!

Paradise in this day and age does not stay untouched for long though. Due to the huge influx of people to this part of the country, from both internal resettlement and overseas migrants, Vancouver is undoubtedly going to face pressures sooner or later. We hope that the Canadian focus on preservation and conservation of the culture and the environment will keep this in check and retain Vancouver's town like feel and BC and Alberta's wild feel for years to come.

FINAL TOP TIP: Collect all your accommodation and goods recepits as you travel and claim back your tax at the airport. Unfortunately beer, food and travel is not included in the scheme though.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.314s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 23; qc: 113; dbt: 0.1712s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb