New York - 9/11 Memorial


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
July 30th 2012
Published: July 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

9/11 Flag of Honor9/11 Flag of Honor9/11 Flag of Honor

Stripes on this flag are made of the names of those individuals whose lives were lost on 9/11
On Tuesday, 24 July, Sally and I had made reservations to see the 9/11 memorial in downtown Manhattan. Tickets to see the memorial are free but you are still required to make a reservation. Our reservation was for 3:00 pm on Tuesday afternoon. We took the subway down to arrive as close to 3:00 pm as possible. It was around 90 degrees and very muggy on our first day in New York. The subways are pretty crowded and even though they are air conditioned, it's still pretty warm. The security to get into the memorial is very tight. You are required to go thru a security screening similar to what you would go thru at Sky Harbor Airport. You are also required to show you pass at 4 seperate locations prior to getting into the memorial. The building of the new World Trade Center is progressing nicely. One of the towers has supassed the height of the Empire State Building so the World Trade Center is again the tallest building in New York. They are building a museum on the memorial grounds but it won't be opened until sometime late this year or early next year. Right outside of the memorial is a visitors center where you can see several items found during the cleanup. There is a motorcycle in the visitors center that was built by the son on Orange County Choppers. There is also a 'Flag of Honor' in the visitors center who's stripes are made of the names of those who lost their lives on 9/11.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0614s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb