Ground Zero becomes the 911 Memorial


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
July 24th 2012
Published: July 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Although tickets to visit the National September 11 Memorial are free they have to be pre-booked at 911memorial.org. While construction continues on the surrounding World Trade Centre buildings the memorial operates in an interim way. Once the WTC is fully rebuilt there will be open acces to the memorial from all sides.

The nearly 3,000 names of those who died in the 2001 and 1993 attacks on the WTC are inscribed in bronze around the perimeters of the two pools, each one representing the original buildings. The North Pool represents the WTC North and the South Pool respresents the WTC South, each one placed in the exact spot where the towers themselves were. The WTC North was where the Windows of the World restaurants were, on the 106th and 107th floors. Kev & I had eaten there three months before the two buildings were destroyed. Also having seen what was being done when we last visited in 2008 it was very interesting to see how the site had changed. A glass and steel building now being built between the Memorial Pools will serve as a Museum when it is finished.

Kev was reprimanded by one of the many security people because he put Rupert on his shoulders to enable him to see better what the pools looked like. Then when we left the site we walked past half a dozen police with machine guns and dogs; don't know that was all about as they were gone after we got out of the restaurant where we went to have lunch.

Kev & I said goodbye to Kerrii, Grace & Rupert after alighting for the subway on 86th and Lexington (or Lex as it is generally known); Grace had piano lessons to attend while we went back to see some more of the treasures inside the Met; European art and some musical instruments from differing ages and cultures. There's no doubt about it, many visits to the Met are needed to see just a portion of what's in there!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Back at the Met for some European artBack at the Met for some European art
Back at the Met for some European art

"Maria Teres (1638-1683) Infanta of Spain" by Juan Bautista del Mazo


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb