Balloon Fiesta


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Albuquerque
October 7th 2007
Published: October 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

5.45am!5.45am!5.45am!

Balloons getting ready to go up and test the winds for the day
We got up at a nice reasonable time this morning, 4.45am... Not!! And made our way to the Balloon Fiesta Park. This is because they have what is known as the 'Dawn Patrol' where a small selection of balloons go up early at dawn, ready to test the wind speed etc, for the day, and the general public can literally walk around them all as they get ready and leave.

Then about 30-45 mins later the other balloons (about 700) get the go ahead from the Dawn Patrol and start preparing to leave too. We wandered around many of the balloons, watching as they lit up. By now it was about 8.30am and Keith & Nige needed some liquid refreshments so we made our way to the beer tent!

We were back home by 10.30am and all crashed out for a couple of hours for a much needed nap.

When we eventually woke up we headed out for dinner at Sadie's a New Mexico Mexican restaurant. Shortly after we arrived home, Nige thought he would give the car a quick wash ready for our trip to Vegas, after some persuasion from Sylvia, Keith helped too!

A few months back Keith put us in contact with some of his friends who travelled route 66 recently, and before our trip they gave us alot of useful information via e-mail, so it was good that Deanna was in town and we was able to meet face to face as she was looking after her grandchildren who live nearby, Unfortunately Don her husband was at their home so we were unable to meet him.

After we packed, we watched the fireworks from Keith & Sylvia's that were closing the days events at the Balloon Fiesta, whilst sipping Margaritas made by Sylvia (Definitely worth waiting for)

Early night tonight, Up at 5.30am for the 8 hour trip to Vegas..!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Dawn PatrolDawn Patrol
Dawn Patrol

one after the other the first 10-15 balloons launched to applauds and cheers from the crowds!
Go ahead!Go ahead!
Go ahead!

After the dawn patrol radio back to say the weather is fine, the other 700+ balloonists start leaving
Come join the dark side..!Come join the dark side..!
Come join the dark side..!

They come in all shapes and sizes, the Darth Vader one above, was a very much anticipated scene.
Amongst the balloonsAmongst the balloons
Amongst the balloons

Walking in between the rows of balloons as they prepare to leave
Sadie'sSadie's
Sadie's

At a New Mexican restaurant in Albuquerque
Working off lunchWorking off lunch
Working off lunch

Washing the car, ready for our trip to Vegas!
Fellow TravellerFellow Traveller
Fellow Traveller

Deanna and her grandchildren popped over to say hi, and chat about route 66.


7th October 2007

dad
Dad what is wrong with you i thought that you would of washed your car at every stop you are lossing your touch at least you have done it once so far joe

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb