New Mexico -


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Alamogordo
January 11th 2009
Published: January 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Watching the sunset - White Sands National ParkWatching the sunset - White Sands National ParkWatching the sunset - White Sands National Park

We headed out to the White Sands National Park and made a few sand angels and watched a killer sunset. The gypsum sand is trapped in the basin as it has no water outlet.

New Mexico White Sands, Ruidoso and Tularosa Basin



I headed to visit old friends and Chris on his assignment in New Mexico Dec 21-23, 2008. We went straight to the White Sands National Park in the Tularosa Basin. We spent time dune surfing, sliding and making sand angels in the gypsum powder deposited from the west winds of the San Andres Mountians. This 245 mile area doesn't drain as it has no water source. This was the area that the first atomic bomb detination site - Trinity in 1945. God blessed us with the same color palette of Joesph's technicolor dream coat.

The next day we headed to Three Rivers Petroglyphs. This area has 21,000 etchings in all shapes and sizes from the Jornada Mogollon tribes from 1000-1400AD. This hike was breath taking with the Sierra Blanca to the East and the Basin to the West. The Tularosa basin is speckled with pistachio farms.. who knew the green monsters grew on trees and could grow in the middle of this arid desert - A little nutty if you ask me??

The next hike was in the Valley of Fire in Carrizozzo. This area is a 2x20
Dusk in White SandsDusk in White SandsDusk in White Sands

The color scheme God chose for us that night was pure technicolor!! Beyond beautiful
mile area of buckled, twisted, knarled lava mounds and cravasses formed from a volcanic eruption 1500 years ago. The succession of scrub brush makes for a mars meet wyoming landscape! To me, they looked like huge piles of petrified dookie! One of the culprits, is the Little Black Peak an active cone on the horizon of this region.

We spent the rest of the evening in Ruidoso. Ruidoso is at 8000 feet elevation and reminds Chris and I both of Gaitlanburg Tennessee with killer shopping and great cuisine choices. We explored the Ski Apache and the gorgeous Inn of the Mountian Gods resort. We spent the the night sipping bourbon & tini's and supporting the tribes dialysis and dead foot clinic at the Roulette table ~




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Three Rivers PetroglyphsThree Rivers Petroglyphs
Three Rivers Petroglyphs

Hiking among 21,000 Petroglyphs from 1000-1400AD
Its a Lizard! Its a Lizard!
Its a Lizard!

Over looking Tularosa Basin
Valley of Fire Carrizozzo  - HikingValley of Fire Carrizozzo  - Hiking
Valley of Fire Carrizozzo - Hiking

Huge lava flow from 3000 years ago 2miles by 20 miles.
Sunset in RuidosoSunset in Ruidoso
Sunset in Ruidoso

Heading towards Ski Apache and Inn of the Mountian Gods Resort


14th January 2009

Great toe pix!!! All that walking in the sand made your feet feel like they had just had the best pedicure ever, huh? Hope you enjoy the next 4-13 week sessions. This Southern Belle will continue to miss you. PS-Great Pix! Send more.

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb