Welcome to Las Vegas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
July 16th 2009
Published: August 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

As with all tour groups the first morning means up early and meeting a new group of people that you will spend everyday and night with, this time for 3 weeks as we make our way from LA to New York. The meeting place was the lobby of the Hacienda Hotel that l have been staying in for the past couple of days, so after making sure all my stuff was re-packed and ready to go l made my way down to the lobby for the 7.30am meet.

When you sit in a busy hotel lobby you spend time looking around to work out if these other people will be in the same group as you. After a few minutes l had scanned the room and worked out at least 4 other people on the Southern Sun Tour.

Dead on 7.30am a bubbly young woman walked into the lobby and started to ask people around her if they were on the “Southern Sun Tour”, one by one the people l had picked out had introduced themselves to the Tour Guide. As l was at the far end of the lobby l got up and made my introductions to the Tour Guide.
Her name was Amanda from Oregon and for the next 3 weeks was to be our guide and driver. Soon another group of people appeared and it soon become clear that the group would be made up from another Tour that had started in New York that travelled the North and now would make their journey back South. So 6 people including me were new to the group and 7 people had already traveled together for 3 weeks.

So with in a few minutes l was once again part of my last tour group this time through North America. Next on the agenda was to do the normal paperwork, insurance details and then we ready to go.

My new group was made up myself, Tatiana, Georgia, Susan, Caroline & Alex from the UK, Elle from Italy, Valarie from Belgium, Ranit from Israel, Corola & Mika from Germany and Ja & Gina from South Korea.

So 12 Girls, 2 Boys, 14 States in 21 days is on its way

With the trailer loaded with everyone’s backpacks and equipment we were ready to go. Our first destination was a great way to get to know everyone on this tour. Las Vegas, so we headed out of LA and towards to city in the desert. The journey was to take us 290 miles, about 5.25 hours during which time we had time to chat to each other and with me in the front make the group endure my iPod. Lunch was at a stop station and we were soon just outside the perimeters of Las Vegas itself. Amanda then asked the group if we wanted to go on one of the Worlds top rollercoaster’s.

Desperado is a hypercoaster located in Primm, Nevada at the Buffalo Bill's Hotel and Casino a part of the Primadonna Resorts complex.

According to the roller coaster database, Desperado is one of the tallest roller coasters in the world at the time of being built. It features a 60-degree, 225 foot drop; a 209 foot lift hill; and top speeds around 80 mph. On the 2 minute, 43 second ride, riders will experience almost 4 Gs. A portion of the ride runs through the interior of the casino. The coaster was listed by the Guinness Book of Records as the world's tallest roller coaster in 1996.
When Desperado opened back in 1994 it was one of the highest coasters in the world, and probably one of the most impressive. The big yellow structure circles its way around the Buffalo Bills Resort and reaches heights of up to 209 feet. Unlike its record-breaking competitor, the Pepsi Max Big One at Blackpool Pleasure Beach in the UK, Desperado was filled with airtime, which made it a much better ride.

The ride on Desperado was nothing short of horrific; it was so rough I couldn't wait for the ride to end! I decided to give up my quest for a front seat ride and hop in the back; the ride operators will not dispatch the train unless there are 12 or more riders. The station is housed inside the casino, as is a small section of the lift hill.
The first drop dives into an underground tunnel making it a lot longer than one would expect. The drop down is relatively smooth and provides a little airtime in the back. The train then climbs up into a right hand turn with a bad transition at the top that rocks riders side to side. The train then makes another drop, which leads into a big swooping left-hand turn that is quite intense.

After rising back up again and into another bad transition, the train then goes through three camel backs that are quite high off the ground. The first two, particularly the second provide quite a nice bit of airtime in both the front and back of the train. The train does bounce at the bottom somewhat, but riding in the 'defensive' position it isn't uncomfortable.

There then follows a turn which leads into the midcourse brakes; these come on quite hard and it's best to hold on to make sure you don't get jolted. The train soon picks up speed again, as it makes a left-hand turn and takes a small drop. The train then passes by the on-ride photo before going through a helix inside a mountain. The helix is quite smooth, and fast, and is another enjoyable part of the ride. After leaving the helix, the train goes back outside and into a small drop with a good headchopper, before reaching the block brakes.

One of the main problems with the ride is the seats, they are bevel shaped, and if you sit back in them,
Donnie & MarieDonnie & MarieDonnie & Marie

She has had no work done!
you end up getting bashed in the sides. Also the airtime tends to throw you into the lapbar, so I held onto the lapbar to stop myself slamming into it. Riding this way, the ride was really enjoyable, and while it is far from smooth, the layout is good, and the ride is exciting.

We finally arrive at the world famous gambling capital of the world and we are soon blown away by the size and scale of the hotels that dominate the strip. We are taken on a quick tour of the area with some household named hotels are in every direction.

We then arrive at our hotel “The Super 8” a well-known hotel group across America. Not far from the main strip it was ideal and we soon un-packed for the 2 night stay.

Las Vegas is the most populous city in the U.S. state of Nevada. Las Vegas, which bills itself as The Entertainment Capital of the World, is famous for the number of casino resorts and associated entertainment.
Established in 1905, Las Vegas officially became a city in 1911. With the growth that followed, at the close of the century Las Vegas was the most populous American city founded in the 20th century. The city's tolerance for various forms of adult entertainment earned it the title of Sin City, and this image has made Las Vegas a popular setting for films and television programs. Outdoor lighting displays are everywhere on the Las Vegas Strip and are seen elsewhere in the city as well. As seen from space, the Las Vegas metropolitan area is one of the brightest on Earth.

The first reported visit to the valley by someone of European descent was Raphael Rivera in 1829. Las Vegas was named by Spaniards, who used the water in the area while heading north and west along the Old Spanish Trail from Texas. In the 1800s, areas of the Las Vegas Valley contained artesian wells that supported extensive green areas or meadows (vegas in Spanish), hence the name Las Vegas.

Las Vegas started as a stopover on the pioneer trails to the west, and became a popular railroad town in the early 1900s. It was a staging point for all the mines in the surrounding area, especially those around the town of Bullfrog that shipped their goods out to the rest of the country. With the proliferation of the railroads, Las Vegas became less important but the completion of the nearby Hoover Dam in 1935 resulted in the growth of residents and tourism. The dam, located 30 mi (48 km) southeast of the city, also formed Lake Mead, the world's largest man-made lake and reservoir.

The legalization of gambling in 1931 led to the advent of the casino-hotels, for which Las Vegas is famous. The success of the city's initial casino businesses was owed to American organized crime. Most of the original large casinos were managed or at least funded under mob figures Benjamin "Bugsy" Siegel, Meyer Lansky or other mob figures at this time. With the arrival of billionaire Howard Hughes in the late 1960s, who purchased many casino-hotels and television stations in the city, legitimate corporations began to purchase casino-hotels as well, and the mob was run out by the federal government over the next several years. The constant stream of tourist dollars from the hotels and casinos was also augmented by a new source of federal money. This money came from the establishment of what is now Nellis Air Force Base. The influx of military personnel and casino job-hunters helped start a land building boom which still goes on today.

What a great way to see Las Vegas at night

Our first visit to one of the famous Hotels in Vegas was the Luxor. The Luxor Las Vegas is a hotel and casino located on the Las Vegas Strip. It was one of the city's first fully-themed mega-resorts. Ground was broken for the Luxor in 1991. It has a pyramid and modern motif and contains a total of 4,407 rooms lining the interior walls of a hollow pyramid and contained within twin ziggurat towers that were built as later additions. The hotel is named after the city of Luxor (ancient Thebes) in Egypt, the site of the Valley of the Kings, Karnak and Luxor Temples, and scores of other pharaonic monuments—but no pyramids.

In July 2007, owner MGM Mirage announced plans to thoroughly renovate the Luxor, spending $300 million to remodel 80 percent of Luxor's public areas, removing much of the ancient Egyptian theme and replacing it with more adult-oriented and modern lounges, restaurants and clubs.

We arrived via taxi and soon stood in ore, as we looked around the vast reception area with giant ancient Egyptian statues, with expensive cars in the foyer of the casino tempting people to use the machines and poker tables. We had arrived here to experience the Luxor “All you can eat” buffet. Downstairs from the main entrance the buffet cost $26 and as soon as we were seated the group disappeared to discover what was to be had, plate after plate of fresh prawns, smoked salmon, salads, oriental, roast meats and dessert to die for. We all feasted on the buffet until our bellies were filled and another mouth full would just be too much.

We then had to make our way back to our hotel for the next part of our evening out, Amanda had told the group to be in reception for 9pm. Word had got around the group that we would be seeing Las Vegas in a limo, so when a large white bus turned up, we all looked at each other and “That’s not a limo” on everyone’s lips, Amanda just stood looking at us all with a giant grin on her face. So with a few bottles of Champagne (Of course) we were ready to party.

Once outside we soon saw that this white bus was in fact a custom built nightclub on wheels complete with disco lights, leather seating and a dance floor with a pole in the middle. So with the music on full blast we took to the dance floor and of course the pole one by one entertaining the group with their erotic dance as we made our way around “The Strip”.

Our first stop was to see the famous downtown Casino area called Fremont where hundreds of tourist had gathered to see the show. The Fremont area is covered with a huge roof that with the sound track of Queen’s “We will rock you” becomes a giant video roof with bright TV images. At this time Tatt, Elle and me had brought a bowling skittle filled with Margarita or Daiquiri and looking up at the ceiling enjoyed the music and the visual experience.

Soon we were off again and headed to another icon of Las Vegas. With loads of other tour coaches, limo’s and cars everywhere we soon saw what our next destination was to be. The “Sign” brings in hundreds of visitor every night, to stand in front of the bright neon lights, and this group was to be not exception. With another group on the small hill in front of the sign we edged in and we were soon standing in front with Amanda holding about 10 cameras. One by one the pictures were taken and we even got in another groups pictures too.
The night tour had come to an end but a small group of us stayed on the strip to investigate the entertainment city with its casinos.

The Bellagio is a luxury hotel and casino. It is owned by MGM Mirage and was built on the site of the demolished Dunes hotel and casino.

Inspired by the Lake Como resort of Bellagio in Italy, Bellagio is famed for its elegance. One of its most notable features is an 8-acre (32,000 m2) lake between the building and the Strip, which houses the Fountains of Bellagio, a large dancing water fountain synchronized to music.

Inside Bellagio, Dale Chihuly's Fiori di Como, composed of over 2,000 hand-blown glass flowers, covers 2,000 sq ft (190 m2) of the lobby ceiling. Which are over the top and for me grotesque, but each to their own.

Fountains of Bellagio

The Fountains of Bellagio is a vast, choreographed water feature with performances set to light and music. The performances take place in front of the Bellagio hotel and are visible from numerous vantage points on the Strip, both from the street and neighboring structures. The show takes place every 30 minutes in the afternoons and early evenings, and every 15 minutes from 8 p.m. to midnight. The fountain display is choreographed to various pieces of music. Tonight it was too the theme tune of “The Pink Panther”.

We arrived at “New York, New York”. New York-New York uses the New York City theme of its name in many ways. Its architecture creates an impression of the New York City skyline; the hotel includes several towers configured to resemble New York City skyscrapers, such as the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building. In front of the property is a pool representing New York Harbor, with a 150 ft (46 m) tall (half-scale) replica of the Statue of Liberty, a roller coaster, and replicas of the Brooklyn Bridge, Soldiers and Sailors Monument, the Whitney Museum of American Art, Ellis Island, and Grand Central Terminal, among other well-known structures.
Within the resort, particular gambling areas, bars, eating areas and meeting rooms are named after New York City neighborhoods or landmarks. The main casino area, for example, is named after Central Park, while the "Village Eateries" food court is modeled after New York City's Greenwich Village, even including real menus from New York Chinese takeout restaurants taped to the doors of the mock apartment buildings. New York-New York uses the trademarked slogan "The Greatest City in Las Vegas".

Elle, Tatt and myself play on a few of the machines in the main casino, but knowing that there is only one winner in Vegas we stop and met the rest of the group in the bar for a refreshment. We then walk along the main strip and pass before heading back to the hotel for a quick night- cap.

A couple of drinks in the room later and I’m in need for a cigarette. So l says my goodnights and head out to the car lot in front of the super 8 for my last smoke of the night. However l see the casino next-door “Ellis Island” and with it’s bright lights l am soon inside playing on the machines once again. $20’s gone, l add another, then another. During this time the waitress has brought me over at least 5 Vodka & Cokes. Buy this time l was down to my last $1 from the $60. One last push of that bright neon button and l was about to leave, when l noticed that one of the symbols you need to play the top wheel had finally arrived. The top wheel was just like the “Wheel of Fortune”. So with it spinning l closed my eyes and took a deep breath and pushed that bright red button. Click, Click & Click and the wheel stopped.

By this time it was 6.30am and after way too much to drink it was time to make my way across the car park and back to my room for a few hours sleep before the day started once again. With my winning $2000 l am on top of the world.

You have to see a show when in Vegas

I had arranged to met, Elle, Tatt, Alex, Valarie, Georgia & Susan for 11am so that we could find the half price ticket booth. So after a much-needed fry-up breakfast complete with corn-beef hash l was ready to take Vegas once again. We walked, and walked and walked up the “Strip” in the mid-afternoon heat, the temperature in the hundreds started to take its toll, we were so happy to find the ticket office with its misters. We purchased the tickets but had to then go to The Venetian Hotel & Resort to exchange them for seating tickets. So once again we walked and walked until we finally came to The Venetian.

The Venetian Resort Hotel Casino is the largest AAA Five-Diamond rated Resort in the Americas. The Venetian has 4,049 suites and a 120,000 sq ft (11,000 m2) casino. As you can tell by the name the hotel is themed on Italy and its buildings. Large painted ceilings are everywhere. A river just like Venice is outside with gondolas taken visitors on a tour that takes them to the inside river ways.

Like all casinos all over the world they are designed for you to get lost within them. After about 20 minutes we finally find the ticket desk at the back of the casino area. As well as our show for the night they also have a huge theatre showing “The Phantom of the Opera” with beautiful Red & Gold fixtures like those built in countries like Italy, France & UK.

With the extreme heat outside we opt to head back to the hotel and relax for the afternoon in the hotels pool. So an hour later we are relaxing and having fun in the pool and taking in some much-needed rays.

The plan for the evening was too visit another of the areas “All you can eat” buffets. Dressed to impress we take a taxi to Caesars Palace.

Caesars Palace is a luxury hotel and casino located on the Las Vegas Strip in Paradise. Caesars Palace is owned and operated by Harrah's Entertainment. Caesars is located on the west side of the Strip, between the Bellagio and the Mirage. With roman statues, columns and huge lakes in front.

Caesars has 3,348 rooms in five towers: Augustus, Centurion, Roman, Palace, and Forum. The Forum tower features guest suites with 1,000 square feet (93 m2) of space. With shopping arcades, restaurants, theatres and casinos everywhere, this place is huge and we did get lost trying to find the Buffet to make a reservation for later that night. We this time did find the restaurant first time and dug in to yet another feast, including snails and giant crab claws.

Before the show was due to begin we made our way to Treasure Island (also known as "ti") hotel and casino with 2,665 rooms and 220 suites, and is connected by tram to adjacent The Mirage as well as pedestrian bridge to the Fashion Show Mall shopping center. Since March 2009, the ti is owned and operated by real estate investor Phil Ruffin.

In 2003, the "Buccaneer Bay" was changed to "Sirens' Cove", which is now the site of "The Sirens of TI". This live, free show is designed to appeal more to adults by including singing, dancing, audio-visual effects, bare-chested pirates and attractive women in the large outdoor show. We arrived with large crowds awaiting the start of this show. Climbing roped walls we find a good viewing spot and watch the show. A large white Pirate Boat filled with skimpily clad ladies. After a couple of songs another Pirate ship arrives from the other end of the staging area on water, with male Pirates.

Canons fire across to each other with fireworks and explosions, Pirates falling from their boats and the male boat is hit and sinks into the pool below. Once all the guys reach the females boat there a couple more songs and the show ends. Not bad for a free 45 minutes of entertainment.

With all things free the crowds are big so it took us awhile to make it to the next free show on the “Strip”. So instead we made our way back to t The Venetian and wait for the show to start.

Blue Man Group is a must, anywhere in the world

The organization's visual productions are centered on a trio of anonymous mute performers, called Blue Men, who appear in black clothing and blue grease paint over latex bald caps and play a mixture of idiosyncratic, often percussive, instruments. Blue Men are performers of either gender who meet specific physical requirements, specific performing talents (percussion, acting, non-verbal communication), and certain personality traits (openness, charisma, willingness to collaborate), among other qualifications.

The Blue Man can be considered a type of homologue, a creature approximating a real male human being. The strongest and most obvious Blue Man characteristic is his static appearance, namely, the ear-less, bright blue head and face, and nondescript, utilitarian clothing. In action, the Blue Man does not speak and his face is usually expressionless, although suggestions of curiosity, surprise, wonder, chagrin, etc. are sometimes visible.

The Blue Man does not communicate through speech or broad body language or gestures; rather, he communicates through intense eye contact and simple gestures. He acts impulsively and primarily as a group of three, "checking in" with the other two when making decisions and before moving to their next action. The Blue Man's outwardly apparent motivations are often presented in mild caricature in order to make a humorous and/or ironic point to the audience. Additionally, the Blue Man is inscrutably motivated to drum. They even have their own hand gesture, called the "Blue Man Salute", which is made by raising both arms in the air. These characteristics provide a character free of stereotypes or race and allow all members of the audience to identify with them equally.

As you can tell I have not written what actually happens in the show. I do not want to spill it for any one planning to
Tatt & ElleTatt & ElleTatt & Elle

With the Champagne!
see it, as it is an absolute must!.

The Mirage was the most expensive hotel/casino in history, with a construction cost of $630 million. The hotel's distinctive gold windows get their color from actual gold used in the tinting process. It was reported that the resort would have to bring in a million dollars a day to pay off a 7-year construction loan. But in fact the Mirage did so well, the loan was paid off in just 18 months. As we leave The Venetian after the show the Mirage Volcano show is in full swing, fire thundering out of large Volcano’s, roaring noise and red, yellow and orange lights everywhere makes the area look like a disaster movie set.

Paris, Las Vegas as its name suggests, its theme is the city of Paris in France; it includes a 5/8ths scale, 540-foot-tall (164.6 m) replica of the Eiffel Tower, a neon sign in the shape of the Montgolfier balloon, a two-thirds size Arc de Triomphe and a replica of La Fontaine des Mers. The front facade of the building suggests the Paris Opera House and the Louvre. Before the night comes to an end we take a look in side and in the casino its like being under the structure of the Eiffel Tower. You can take tours to the top of the Tower, but we had arrived to late.



Additional photos below
Photos: 85, Displayed: 38


Advertisement



25th August 2009

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!
I got up early this morning. Grabbed a cup of coffee and read the latest. What fun and great sights. We need to go to Ohio some time and go to the best park in the world: Cedar Point! I love you. Oh. Dax got your postcard of the Statue of Liberty. He was more thrilled that it was from you! Miss you!
25th August 2009

IM GREEN WITH ENVY GEOFF!!! SO GLAD TO SEE YOUR HAPPY SMILING FACE, THIS IS OBVIOUSLY THE BEST THING YOU HAVE EVER DONE IN YOUR LIFE AND IM SURE YOU WILL CARRY THOSE MEMORIES FOREVER... YOU LUCKY DUCK!!! PETER WOULD LOVE TO GO TO LAS VEGAS BEEN GOING ON ABOUT IT FOR YEARS...... ONE DAY I WILL TAKE HIM THERE!! TAKE CARE, DONT DO ANYTHING I WOULDNT, LOL!! XX

Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 15; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0798s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb