On the biggest movie set in the world


Advertisement
Published: August 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

The greyhound bus in the USA is another one of those things l have always wanted to do, just like traveling Australia in a Campervan. Cheap travel from one part of the states to another, as well as being able to take in some of the views along the way. This does mean that it takes a lot longer to get to your final destination, but at least your saving money!

So with my visit in San Francisco at an end l make my way to the Cities Bus Terminal to catch the 9am Greyhound to Los Angeles. The 9 hour journey leaves on time and with a half filled coach there is even room to move as nobody is sitting nest to me. We leave the city and after a few hours we stop for refreshments and the next leg of the journey starts once again. After a third stop we pick up extra passengers and the coach is now filled to capacity. But with my iPod giving me an escape from the packed bus we soon arrive at the coach terminal in LA.

The warmth of LA sun soon hits me and not long after arriving at the station l am on my way in a Taxi to my hotel. The long journey from on end of the LA to the airport area gives me a chance to see the cities skyline and the vastness of the size of LA. The Hacienda Hotel is the gateway hotel for the start of my next organized trip from LA to New York.

The room at the hotel is huge and l begin to plan some trips to see LA before the tour starts in three days time. The hotel is quiet a distance from the main areas of the city, like Hollywood and Venice beach and with most of the people in LA driving everywhere the public transport system is non existent. So after a chat to the guys on reception l book a couple of trips that start from the hotel.

Welcome to City of Angels and Demons

Los Angeles is the largest city in the state of California and the second largest in the United States. Often abbreviated as L.A. and nicknamed The City of Angels, Los Angeles has an estimated population of 3.8 million and spans over 498.3 square miles in Southern California. Additionally, the Los Angeles metropolitan area is home to nearly 12.9 million residents.

Los Angeles is one of the world's centers of business, international trade, entertainment, culture, media, fashion, science, technology, and education. It is home to renowned institutions covering a broad range of professional and cultural fields, and is one of the most substantial economic engines within the United States. As the home base of Hollywood, it is known as the "Entertainment Capital of the World", leading the world in the creation of motion pictures, television production and recorded music. The importance of the entertainment business to the city has led many celebrities to call Los Angeles and its surrounding suburbs home.

In the 1920s, the motion picture and aviation industries flocked to Los Angeles. In 1932, with population surpassing one million, the city hosted the Summer Olympics.

The post-war years saw an even greater boom, as urban sprawl expanded the city into the San Fernando Valley. Also in the 1980s, Los Angeles became the center of the heavy metal music scene, especially glam metal bands. In 1984, the city hosted the Summer Olympic Games for the second time. Despite being boycotted by 14 Communist countries, the 1984 Olympics became the most financially successful in history, and only the second Olympics to turn a profit - the other being the 1932 Summer Olympics, also held in Los Angeles.

During the remaining decades of the 20th century, the city was plagued by increasing gang warfare, drug trades, and police corruption. Racial tensions erupted again in 1992 with the Rodney King controversy and the large-scale riots that followed the acquittal of his police attackers. In 1994, the 6.7 Northridge earthquake shook the city, causing $12.5 billion in damage and 72 deaths.

Los Angeles is subject to earthquakes due to its location in the Pacific Ring of Fire. The geologic instability produces numerous fault lines both above and below ground, which altogether cause approximately 10,000 earthquakes every year. One of the major fault lines is the San Andreas Fault. Located at the boundary between the Pacific Plate and the North American Plate, it is predicted to be the source of Southern California's next big earthquake. Major earthquakes to have hit the Los Angeles area include the 1994 Northridge earthquake, the 1987 Whittier Narrows earthquake, the 1971 San Fernando earthquake near Sylmar, and the 1933 Long Beach earthquake. Nevertheless, all but a few quakes are of low intensity and are not felt. The most recent earthquake felt was the 4.7 2009 Inglewood earthquake on May 17, 2009. Parts of the city are also vulnerable to Pacific Ocean tsunamis; harbor areas were damaged by waves from the Valdivia earthquake in 1960. The Los Angeles basin and metropolitan area are also at risk from blind thrust earthquakes.

The city is divided into many neighborhoods, many of which were incorporated places or communities that were annexed by the city. There are also several independent cities around Los Angeles, but they are popularly grouped with the city of Los Angeles, either due to being completely engulfed as enclaves by Los Angeles, or lying within its immediate vicinity. Generally, the city is divided into the following areas: Downtown Los Angeles, Northeast - including Highland Park and Eagle Rock areas, the Eastside, South Los Angeles (still often colloquially referred to as South Central by locals), the Harbor Area, Hollywood, Wilshire, the Westside and the San Fernando and Crescenta Valleys.
Some well-known communities within Los Angeles include West Adams, Watts, Leimert Park, Baldwin Hills, Venice Beach, the Downtown Financial District, Los Feliz, Silver Lake, Hollywood, Koreatown, Westwood and the more affluent areas of Bel Air, Benedict Canyon, Hollywood Hills, Hancock Park, Pacific Palisades, Century City, and Brentwood.

Important landmarks in Los Angeles include Chinatown, Koreatown, Little Tokyo, Walt Disney Concert Hall, Kodak Theatre, Griffith Observatory, Getty Center, Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Grauman's Chinese Theatre, Hollywood Sign, Hollywood Boulevard, Capitol Records Tower, Los Angeles City Hall, Hollywood Bowl, Watts Towers, Staples Center, Dodger Stadium and La Placita Olvera/Olvera Street.

With a Big City it takes a Big Tour to see it

The next morning l am picked up from the front of the hotel and taken to the tour companies’ main office to pay for the days adventure and shown to the tour bus with blacked out windows and air-conditioning. The tour is filled with about 16 people from all over the world, including Australians, Germans, South Africans and me.
We leave and head towards Venice beach about 45 minutes away. Venice beach is famous all over the world and we are soon given 45 minutes to walk long the sea front with hundreds of people all over the place. I soon see some of the sites that makes up Venice beach. The outdoor gym, were muscle men and woman use to show off their bodies is in full swing. The basketball courts filled with people playing in the mid day sun. The market stalls along the sea front are filled with hippie style stalls and packed restaurants. The sand lined sea front is awash with beautiful people in skimpy swimsuits. The beach with its tall wooden lifeguard lookout tower made this beach what it is, the setting for “Baywatch”. The TV series was even filmed here as well as a couple over location along the coastline.

Just before l made it back to the tour bus l had time to watch some street theatre with a team of street dancers. The huge group watched as these guys break-danced and even some well practiced acrobatics.
We then made our way into Beverly Hills and Rodeo Drive the famous road filled with Designer Store for the rich and famous, it is said that if you need to ask what the price is, you should not be shopping here. We passed stores like Channel, Jimmy Choo, Bvlgari, Tiffany and Harry Winston the jewelers that suppliers some of the most expensive jewels for Award Shows like the Oscars to the worlds best actresses. As we made it towards Sunset Boulevard we stop outside Jonny Depps nightclub “The Viper Room”. On the other side of the road the famous Comedy Store were the likes of Eddie Murphy, Whoopi Goldberg and Roseanne have graced the stage. The House of Blues & Laugh Factory is next on the list before we reach our next stop.

With the news that Michael Jackson had died 3 days before there were hundreds of people crowding over the “Michael Jackson” star. As l got nearer and nearer to the star l could see flowers, candles, photos and cards to the fallen star.

The Chinese Theatre was commissioned following the success of the nearby Grauman's Egyptian Theatre, which opened in 1922. Built over 18 months, beginning in January 1926 by a partnership headed by Sid Grauman, the theater opened May 18, 1927 with the premiere of Cecil B. DeMille's film The King of Kings. It has since been home to many premieres, birthday parties, corporate junkets and three Academy Awards ceremonies. Among the theater's most distinctive features are the concrete blocks set in the forecourt, which bear the signatures, footprints, and handprints of popular motion picture personalities from the 1920s to the present day. These included Hugh Jackman, Michael Cain, Dean Martin & Will Smith.

The exterior of the theater is meant to resemble a giant, red Chinese pagoda. The architecture features a huge Chinese dragon across the front; two Authentic Chinese Ming Heavens dogs guard the main entrance, and the silhouettes of tiny dragons up and down the sides of the copper roof. To the dismay of many fans of historic architecture, the freestanding ticket booth was removed (which was not original to the theatre, but rather installed in the 1930s), along with the left and right neon marquees—but their absence brings the theatre back closer to its original state. The auditorium has recently been completely restored along with much of the exterior, however, the wear and tear on the physical structure over the years has caused some of the external décor to be removed, rather than repaired.

The Kodak Theatre is a live theatre in the Hollywood and Highland retail, dining, and entertainment complex on Hollywood Boulevard and North Highland Avenue in the Hollywood district of Los Angeles. Since its opening on November 9, 2001, the theatre has been the home of the annual Academy Awards Ceremonies (The Oscars), which were first held there in March 2002, and is the first permanent home for the awards. Since 2002, the theater was also the home for American Idol.

The stage is one of the largest in the United States, roughly tied with the Elliot Hall of Music at Purdue University, measuring 113 feet wide by 60 feet deep. The theatre was sponsored by the Kodak Company, which paid $75 million to have its name associated with the building. It is owned by CIM Group.

The theatre is particularly successful as a venue for televised theatre performance (improving production values and economies in American Idol and the Academy Awards) through the planning and technical design. The architect and advisers undertook extensive consultation with many of the leading production personnel in Hollywood which led to highly functional production cable infrastructure systems including an underground cable bunker which passes below the theatre to truck locations in adjacent streets, accessible and substantial power, and a unique camera, sound and stage management cockpit designed by Rockwell in the orchestra seating
The Famous DriveThe Famous DriveThe Famous Drive

Pretty Woman
area.
The Grand Staircase entrance columns hall to the Kodak Theatre is flanked by columns displaying the names of winners of the Academy Awards for Best Picture since 1927-1928, with blank spaces left for future Best Picture winners well into the 21st century. Still, a visitor during the rest of the year might have a hard time recognizing the landmark. In a fashion reminiscent of Hollywood's moviemaking process, the building is "dressed" before the ceremony, including a different sign, drapery to hide all the storefronts, and the famous large red carpet.

The theatre is rented to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for weeks before the Oscar night. During the rest of the year, it hosts numerous live concerts, award shows, symphony performances and others.
With other Walk of Fame stars like Elton John, Julie Andrews, William Shatner, Barbara Streisand, Bruce Willis, Robin Williams, Jack Nicholson, Antony Hopkins among loads of others outside the theatre and along the footpaths. From around the corner of the Kodak theatre is a Shopping Mall that our Tour guide had told us to go to if we wanted the Famous “Hollywood” sign photo. So once l had made my way to the back of the open air shopping mall and up 4 flights of stairs l was face to face with the iconic sign.

The sign first appeared in 1923 on the hillside to promote a new housing development and said “Hollywoodland”, the “land” was removed and “Hollywood was born. In June 1924 English-born John Simpson and two others attempted to steal the Hollywood sign one letter at a time. The bungled robbery resulted in the deaths of 24-year-old Simpson's co-conspirators Michael Reed and Andrew Sharp. The resulting trial and imprisonment of Simpson was highly publicised, particularly in the Los Angeles area and also in his native homeland of England were he was labelled the "Hollywood Hustler".

In September 1932, Broadway actress Peg Entwistle, a resident of Beachwood Canyon, committed suicide by jumping to her death from the letter H.

The final leg of the tour was to visit the Farmers Market. The area is filled with market stalls, outdoor restaurants serving food from all over the world. At the back of the Market was a large shopping arcade with world famous stores and restaurants; even a trolley bus took tourists from one end to the other. Not far from the area were world famous TV Studio’s like CBS & ABC.

Not long after 7pm l arrive back at the hotel after a great day around the City of LA. A cool beer in the outdoor bar to take in the setting sun and evenings warm air, before heading back to my room to rest before another day of seeing another of LA’s tourist destinations.

Universal Studio is a must see when in LA

The next morning it was time to leave the hotel early and take the tour bus once again to the tour company and this time we made our way to the studio. The Universal Studio’s are at the other end of the city and with so many cars on the LA highways it did not take long to become part of a giant car park going nowhere. We arrive just before opening and with ticket in hand l make my way into the land of film and entertainment.

Universal Studios Hollywood is a movie studio in the Universal City community and is the original Universal Studios theme park. Woody Woodpecker is the mascot for Universal Studios Hollywood and the rest of the Universal Studios Theme Parks. It is one of the oldest and most famous Hollywood movie studios still in use. Its official marketing headline is "The Entertainment Capital of LA", though during the summer it is often advertised as "The Coolest Place in LA." It was initially created to offer tours of the real Universal Studios soundstages and sets.

From the beginning, Universal has offered tours of its studio. In the silent film days the tour included a chance to buy fresh produce, since then-rural Universal City was still in part a working farm.

Shortly after MCA took over Universal Pictures in 1962, accountants suggested a tour stop in the studio commissary would increase profits, and in 1964, the modest tour was expanded to include a series of dressing room walk-throughs, peeks at actual production, and later, staged events. This grew over the years into a full-blown theme park - the narrated tram (formerly "Glamortram") tour still runs through the studio's active backlot, but the staged events, stunt demonstrations, and high-tech rides overshadow the motion-picture production that once lured fans to Universal Studios Hollywood. Universal City also includes hotels Universal Hilton & Towers, the Sheraton Hotels and Resorts, a multi-screen theater, and Universal City Walk, which offers a collection of shops and restaurants, as well as the Gibson Amphitheatre, a concert venue.

A Three Alarm fire broke out on the backlot of Universal Studios on June 1, 2008. The Los Angeles County Fire Department had reported that Brownstone Street, New York Street, New England Street, the King Kong ride, some structures that make up Courthouse Square, the War of the Worlds movie set, and the Video Vault had burnt down (not to be confused with the actual Film Vault, The Video Vault contains the duplicates of the films). Aerial news footage later showed that the actual Courthouse facade survived the fire, although the west side of it was slightly charred. Over 516 firefighters from various local fire departments, as well as two helicopters dropping water, had responded to the fire. Fourteen firefighters and three Los Angeles County sheriffs' deputies sustained minor injures. It was the seventh serious backlot fire to strike Universal since 1932. The fire was finally put out after 12 hours, since firefighters encountered low water pressure. The area being rebuilt can be seen from the theme park areas and is in full swing with many of the buildings near completion.

Destroyed were 40,000 to 50,000 archived digital video and film copies chronicling Universal's movie and TV classic shows, dating back to the 1920s, including the films Knocked Up and Atonement, the NBC series Law & Order, The Office, and Miami Vice, and CBS's I Love Lucy. Many audio master tapes from Universal Music have been destroyed as well. Universal president Ron Meyer stated that nothing irreplaceable was lost, meaning everything will be rebuilt again, at a price of at least $50 million. Days after the fire, however, it was reported that the King Kong attraction will not be rebuilt and will eventually be replaced by a new attraction yet to be announced. In August 2008, Universal changed their mind and decided to rebuild the attraction, but it will be based on the 2005 film instead, and it will be in 3D.

Like a kid again, l took to all the rides and studio tours too

One of the best things about touring on your own is that you can do whatever you like whenever you like. So not long after entering the park l was off looking for adventure.

First stop was to go through the House of Horror, which was good fun, especially having two girls behind me that kept screaming and jumping as people jumped out in front of them. The tour took us through scenes of famous movies. I was soon and the Jurassic Park water ride with its giant moving dinosaurs, scenes from the movie too and a huge finish when you drop down into the pool below. Like most water rides nowadays you get completely wet. But in the hot LA sun is very welcome.

Soon l have done “The Mummy” and the “Backdraft” studio tour before midday. With all this excitement its time to stop for a bite to eat and plan the rest of my day. The Back Lot Studio Tour is a highlight to Universal Studio’s so l queue for about 30 minutes under the sheltered walkways with much needed misters.

During the hour tour you pass many well known movie sets like Jaws, Psycho, Gladiator and The Princess Diaries. Some of the sets have been used for many films and with the tour bus having a video screen you are shown some movies with the same sets. Just with a few different props you can change an English Village set into an Italian or French set.

Whilst moving from set to set we are even able to see some of them come to life. Like a set from a cowboy movie that with a flick of a switch starts to rain and the whole set floods with high water coming within inches of the tour bus. The large set of “War of the Worlds” complete with a real airplane crashed into bits which is still on fire with homes smashed around it, cars and rubbish making the set look real.

We are then told to be really quiet by the tour guide as we were about to pass the working set of “Desperate Housewives”. We pass onto Wisteria Lane and in the near distance we can all see a couple of the star standing around reading their lanes for the next scene.

“Waterworld” the movie may have been one of the world’s biggest movie flops, but Universal has managed to turn it into a great attraction. The arena is huge and with about 6 shows a day it soon becomes filled to the hilt. Stunt men and woman then use the giant water arena to act out the movie with Jet Ski’s, motorboats and with a mix of guns, fire bombs and high wire stunts turn it into a great piece of magical theatre.

It is soon to make my way back to the meeting area and head back to my hotel after another incredible day out in LA.

Like many free days it soon comes to an end and l spend the rest of my free time getting ready to join my last tour, repacking and relaxing as l know from this experience the next 3 weeks through America are going to be another adventure with early mornings, long hikes and hopefully some great party nights.



Additional photos below
Photos: 80, Displayed: 36


Advertisement



24th August 2009

From Ingrid and Brian
You sure are having a ball!! Love keeping up with where you are at!! Don't suppose you are ever coming home!

Tot: 0.268s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 14; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0718s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb