Montana, Kalispell


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » Kalispell
August 31st 2009
Published: November 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Kalispell, Montana
August 31, 2001

On Sunday Karen and I headed east for our visit to Glacier National Park. Joining us on our travels to Kalispell were Maxanne, Colleen, Warren, and AJ. We’re all heading to the city at the entrance of Glacier National Park and it’s a 200-mile ride. Driving east on route 90 to Kalispell Montana is a very interesting and lovely ride as it passes through river valleys and mountain passes. We left the highway in St. Regis, Montana and headed north. The countryside is just unbelievably beautiful. The rolling hills and ranches are just what you imagine of Montana. We cross the Flat Head Indian reservation and drive along the western side of Flat Head Lake. Kalispell is a small western city that sits in this lovely valley in the Salish Mountains at the head of the lake. Unfortunately Kalispell is not a very pretty place. The center of town still retains some of its’ original charm but it’s surrounded by a real miss-mash of small vacation ranches, strip malls, box stores, and urban sprawl. It’s what happens in America when you have no zoning. People can really make a mess of the place.
We finally arrive at Kalispell and stay at a surprisingly well appointed room at the Econo Lodge along this strip of box stores south of town. Mike and Deb are also staying there and we were all able to enjoy a last dinner together.
On Monday we all drive through Glacier Park and take Road to the Sun, a mountain pass to the town of St Mary’s on the eastern side of the park. This is such an unbelievable drive on what is considered one of the most scenic roads in the USA. It was used for the opening shots in the movie “The Shining”.
At St. Mary’s the rest of the crew heads west back to Spokane for their flight home the next day and Karen and I begin our stay in the Park.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb