HAPPY 4th!


Advertisement
Published: July 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The BIG BusThe BIG BusThe BIG Bus

Top speed 12 MPH, mileage we didn't ask. Setting on a bunch of ice.
Hi all.

Posting from Beautiful Glacier National Park.

The travel through Jasper and down the Canadian Rockies was just gorgeous! Many memorable sights and sounds. In Banff NP we got one of our best camping spots of the trip.. in their overflow no less. Gently sloped valley nestled between two mountain ranges, slowly sinking sun. Very nice.

At least it’s getting dark here! Man! For a while I thought Alaska was going to drive me nuts… on the night of 6/21 there was just too much light. Here in Montana it’s nicely dark by midnight or so.

Raeann and I are continuing to have a nice trip. Thinking more about heading home, but not real set on that. Today we did and all-day float on the Middle Fork of the Flathead River..same one Julia and Lara and I used nearly 10 years ago. Wonderful conditions this time, full sun, warm breeze. Water was down to about 3.9 feet, but still some high Class III rapids. We were in a small boat with a couple from Edmonton, Alberta. Nice interesting folks. One of the big reasons to travel.

Some picks attached from a couple of the sites.
Lake ReflectionLake ReflectionLake Reflection

Banff NP Alberta Pretty nice work, if you can get it.


Being on the Columbia Icefields was pretty cool. The pic you will see has us on top of about 1000 meters of ice! It also was a great day. Lots of talk about glacial recession here as well as in much of Alaska. Good thing Raeann bought me a Carbon credit before we left! (you can ask her the details.. it is a mighty fine looking certificate) Lord knows we’re using the fossil fuels.

Tram ride of Whistlers Mountain (named after the marmots) was pretty cool. Had a pretty rigorous hike up to ~ 9500from the tram stop. Couple of hours hiking at higher altitudes is enough for this flatlander. Great way to see the change in the veg. cover. We traversed 3500 feet in just a matter of minutes..don’t get that with you legs!!!

Outside of Jasper as we neared the Lake Louise area (~35k north) I got a picture of a mountain reflection which I show here. Just a quick hike to the edge, but well worth the time. The water….very enticing. Problem is COLD!!!

Well tomorrow we shoot over the Going To The Sun Road and over into the high plains. That’ll be
Lake LouiseLake LouiseLake Louise

One hour paddle. The lodge was gorgeous! Hanging flower baskets better than ever. Nice peaceful visit. We keep hitting these spots JSUT before the go beserk!
a shock. Several days and hopefully several cool stories to go..let’s see MT 2, or the I80 route? Jewel Cave of the Nebraska sandhills?

Only the time and the road will tell.

Till next time.

Peace


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0229s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb