Going To The Sun ... Glacer NP


Advertisement
Published: August 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Going-to-the-Sun Scenic Road

The most famous highlight of Glacier National Park is the Going-to-the-Sun Road. The scenic drive is considered one of the most spectacular in America. I suggest that this is a don't-look-down kind of drive. Just pull off when you do, and you'll be fine, well maybe I still have trouble looking down.

There are plenty of reasons to stop and park such as wildflower meadows, alpine vistas, and abundant wildlife.

Going-to-the-Sun Road splits the northern and southern halves of Glacier National Park in two and crosses the Continental Divide at Logan Pass (6,646 feet). It climbs over the Continental Divide at Logan Pass. The most stunning section is the sheer western face of the divide below the pass. Many beautiful waterfalls can be seen in this area as well as wonderful alpine views. Going-to-the-Sun is generally closed due to snow until after Memorial Day.

The Going-to-the-Sun Road is one of the world's finest scenic drives but this year we were faced with ROAD CONSTRUCTION which was a big pain in the butt. So much stopping and going that Doug didn't have much of a chance to see the beautiful sights. He said to take lots of pictures so he could see what he missed. We were behind this pickup and camper that clearly should not have been there, he was so close the cliff he would stop and inch his way around the curve, as you can see in this picture I probably couldn't put a finger between the camper's awning and the rock cliff.

The fifty mile road connects the east and west sides of Glacier National Park, climbing spectacularly over the Continental Divide at Logan Pass, elevation 6,680 feet. It took us well over two hours to go from East to West because of the construction and the slow traffic.

The road was constructed between 1921 and 1932 and was considered a major engineering feat at that time. Here is a picture of a vertical rock face known as the Garden Wall. The road was literally carved into this cliff. The outer edge of the road drops off thousands of feet into the valley below. Driving can be intimidating on a busy summer day because there is very little clearance with oncoming traffic. Oversized vehicles and trailers are prohibited in the Garden Wall section.

Here is a picture of the Weeping Wall one of the most unusual falls along section of rock wall adjacent to the road covered by running water. There were soooo many water falls, big and small.

Here is a small waterfall and tunnel make an interesting combination. Note how the waterfall is drained under the road and then continues down the cliff.

Views of the spectacular Continental Divide are also plentiful. The tallest peaks are about 10,000 feet in this area.
There numerous small glaciers even tho we were there in August.






Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

CamperCamper
Camper

Close to Cliff
Road To The SunRoad To The Sun
Road To The Sun

St Mary Lake
Road To The Sun HighwayRoad To The Sun Highway
Road To The Sun Highway

Construction Stop


Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb