Swimming with Scissorhands


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » Bozeman
November 28th 2008
Published: October 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=JtbmgdYuj8o]Yellowstone warranted a second day so we headed down to the park early. We first checked out the thermal springs, it smelt like Rotorua if you are a kiwi. The colours were impressive with an array of orange, pinks and greens. Its hard to see how trees can grow in these conditions. I got duped into believing the others had seen a frog in one of the hot springs. I'll get them back one day, maybe at their wedding.

The buffalos are humongous and after talking to a guide we learnt that Bison and Buffalo are synonymous, I had thought they were two different types of animals. The natives hunted them into near extinction and infact did kill off one species which were 25% bigger. They must have weighed more than a tonne. Nic and Lisa were a bit petrified when we pulled the car to a halt within metres of a herd. A few of them were fighting, smashing heads together with immense force. When they started walking towards us, we realised how tall they were, easily over 2 metres high. Time to get out of there.

Whilst making our way to the Wyoming side of the park we spotted big horned sheep, coyotes and were fortunate enough to see a pack of wolves. We actually saw the wolves through telescopes from the same point we'd seen the grizzly the day before. There was a pack of five that were hovering over a kill and as I watched a sixth was racing down the hillside to get to the kill. They are rare to see so we were pretty lucky. Happy with our sightings we drove onwards to Bozeman, it was quite a long slog for the Big Rig behind the wheel so it was nice to stay at another Best Western and have a pool and spa. I had to take a photo of the pool rules, some of them were outlandish, I think one was No cutlery in the pool. Who stays at this place Edward Scissorhands?


Additional photos below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb