Massachusetts Cape Cod


Advertisement
Published: August 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Mass Trip


An early-morning walk is a blessing for the whole day.
Henry David Thoreau



Point 1 Walden Pond

Point 2 Minuteman Park

Point 3 Mile Standish State Forest



Henry David Thoreau’s Walden’s Pond National Historic Landmark, was our first stop in MA. Henry David Thoreau lived at Walden Pond from July 1845 to September 1847. His experience at Walden provided the material for the book Walden, which is credited with helping to inspire awareness and respect for the natural environment. Because of Thoreau's legacy, Walden Pond has been designated a National Historic Landmark and is considered the birthplace of the conservation movement. The trail along the lake has been redirected due to heavy rain this past spring, so we followed it to the location where his cabin stood. It is one popular swimming hole, lots of folks splashing and having fun. Back at the info center is a replica of his cabin.
Today we took the bikes to the Minute Man National Historic Site. After an excellent presentation at the visitor’s center on the start of the Revolutionary War, we biked along the Battle Road. The restoration of this site is incredible, after WWII this area was a suburban community, but today it has been restored to its original configuration. The details of the original Battle Road
D H ThoreauD H ThoreauD H Thoreau

This is model of the house that he lived in while writting
were most impressive.
Miles Standish State Forest has a large campground with bike trails, paved hiking trails, fishing and swimming.
Cape Cod was our last stop before returning to PA. We enjoyed a 4th of July weekend with Maureen’s brother and his wife along with the kids and grandkids. Everyone was having fun in the pool, at the fireworks, etc.
We drove home with the temps near 100!!



As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives.
Henry David Thoreau




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Home that was owned by one of the leaders of the Mintuemen  Home that was owned by one of the leaders of the Mintuemen
Home that was owned by one of the leaders of the Mintuemen

Home that was owned by one of the leaders of the Mintuemen. This house was on the site of the Minuteman and British battle along the road to Concord.
BobBob
Bob

These girls for dress as someone working at the Inn They were very informative. One was a history teacher.


3rd August 2010

Walden Pond
When we lived in Watertown, MA we used to take our kids here often. V. peaceful then. Cheers.
9th August 2010

Great travels
Enjoy your blog! Hope you are enjoying the weather; sure is hot here!

Tot: 0.771s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 40; qc: 193; dbt: 0.3933s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb