The Friendly Stop


Advertisement
Published: August 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Two Scoops...of Ice CreamTwo Scoops...of Ice CreamTwo Scoops...of Ice Cream

Here I am with Emel chowing down on some yummy ice cream. Photo by Brad Bulat.
My drive to the Cape Cod National Seashore was longer than I thought it would be, but I was so glad to finally arrive. I checked into a private campground operated by a couple I met in Maui last fall. We went to dinner at a Mediterranean restaurant, then walked P-town (Provincetown), which was a hoot on Friday night. This town is very lively, with lots of gays and lesbians, trinket shops, and of course art galleries (I really enjoyed the photography at Steve Katz Gallery). A number of bars had piano players or other entertainment, which was fun to watch. Also, some shows had their stars trying to lure you to come to the show. They were funny folks, some transvestites, others just barely clad as women, with lots of funny come on lines. The high point had to be a funny-named store, which we strolled through and got a lot of laughs. This store had a lot of rude and sex-related paraphenlia, but apparently that was tame compared to the upstairs part of the store, which we didn't view.

Despite the overnight rain, the morning looked like it would be promising with sun, but I was wrong. However, I thought a ranger-led hike
Low TideLow TideLow Tide

When they say low tide, they really mean it in the bay of Cape Cod. You could walk about a mile out to the water here. Photo by Brad Bulat.
with my friends who live near Boston around an historic area with the opportunity to try some art would be good. It wasn't. Not only did the ranger not know much (he incorrectly identified a plant, instead of saying he didn't know, and was not very knowledgeable about the history of the area), but the mosquitoes and black flies were swarming from the recent rain and high humidity. We hurried through the short hike and drove to their second home in Brewster, where we relaxed for a bit. We took in some ice cream (a double scoop, no less, of moose droppings--it really is tasty-- and caramel), checked out the ritzy area, and checked out the low tide. Very cool.

We ate some terrific Thai food for dinner the next night and headed back towards the greater Boston area, where they live in a huge house. After finishing a book, we went to see the new Harry Potter movie (action packed, but not as well directed or written as some of the others) and had dinner at a Turkish restaurant. Next day, I headed north, again, to Maine, the turnaround spot on my trip and Acadia National Park, one of the three parks I specifically wanted to visit on this trip.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb