Salem and its infamous witches


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Salem
August 4th 2010
Published: August 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Witch HouseWitch HouseWitch House

Actually a judge's house in the Salem Witch Trials
Whilst we were staying in Boston we took a day trip out to the infamous town of Salem. Our intention had been to take the ferry each way but when we discovered that a train ran from just down the road from our hotel, it seemed a much better idea. It even seemed that our week pass for the "T" public transport system covered the trip but on the return journey the guard told us that we should have paid - but she let us off!!

The train drops you off just outside the town but it's not difficult to find your way into the centre from where the heritage trail is clearly marked by a red line to follow around. It's a nice little place full of lovely old buildings, some of which actually date back to the Salem Witch Trials of 1692. This is what made the town famous, whereas the TV miniseries and Steven King novel "Salem's Lot" was actually based in a place called Jerusalem's Lot in Maine. Russ was a little annoyed to find he had been wrong about it all these years!!!

There are witch signs, symbols and memorabilia everywhere. There's even a witch statue from the TV show "Bewitched" for middle aged men to have their photos taken with! No sign of an update from Nicole Kidman though. We were disappointed to find the museum dedicated to "Little Lizzie Borden" closed on the day we visited. We did go in the "Salem Witch Museum" which was rather good. We were given a sound and light display assisted by waxwork dioramas to explain what went on in the witch trials. They were, of course, WHOLLY INNOCENT.

Our wander through town continued beyond the witching zone and down to the quayside. There we saw the old customs house opposite a grand clipper ship. Nearby was the oldest candy store in the USA where they still make lemon gibraltar, whatever that may be, from the original recipe. It's also the area where many Polish immigrants lived and that's reflected in some of the unpronounceable street names. Finally, the House of the Seven Gables is fully restored and open for visitors - at a price of course! It was the setting of the "famous" novel of the same name. Not that Russ had heard of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Before heading back to Boston we had a coffee on the high street. Normally this wouldn't warrant a mention but Cafe Valverde sell organic Bolivian coffee which we thought was worth a mention. It's not the coffee producer that Russ did some work with back in 2004 (see the old blog), but these guys deserve the link!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

BooksBooks
Books

A very full second hand book shop
Candy StoreCandy Store
Candy Store

The oldest in the USA, apparently


10th August 2010

Cool Blog Entry
Thanx for sharing! Salem is on my hit list so I enjoyed your pics and blog very much.
17th February 2011

Blog of the year, 2010
Congratulations! :) This blog was nominated one of the best of 2010, in the north America/writing category. http://www.travelblog.org/Topics/27154-1.html
10th June 2011
Live Spell Casting!

the great man
I was dealing with a broken heart and deep depression. When I came across this spell caster.FATHER MAGIC.I ordered the SHEKABULA ritual for fast results. 3 days after ritual my “sunshine” called me for the first time in 3 years. We are back together since. This man delivers what he promises. Don’t waste your money on inexperienced spell casters… FATHER MAGIC is the real thing!!!!

Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0825s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb