Quisset at Last


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Falmouth
August 27th 2013
Published: September 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

We are in Quisset harbor. We have towed our little blue dinghy all the way to Boston and back and the main reason for this is Quisset. This is a delightful little place but, while it does have rental moorings, it does not provide launch service so we need our dinghy to get ashore.

They pack a lot of boats into this little harbor and everyone needs a dinghy. So there are roughly twice as many dinghies as there is dock-space for them ... :-)

Apart from the lovely little harbor and the small boatyard that maintains the moorings, there is no commercial activity in Quisset. Just a lot of lovely old houses. And the Whoosh Trolley.

If you walk up the hill from the boatyard to the traffic lights on the main road, the Whoosh Trolley will stop there and pick you up. In one direction, it is two-and-a-half miles to Woods Hole. In the other direction, it is just a little further to Falmouth. For old people like us, each ride costs a dollar.

There is also a back road into Woods Hole so we decide to walk into town. We had forgotten how hilly this road is ... :-)

Woods Hole is fun and slightly crazy. It is a very small village but is the main port for the big car ferries heading over to Martha’s Vineyard. So there are lots of pretty-good places to eat.

Our favorite spot is a little place called “Shuckers” on Water Street. This place is mainly on a covered deck, overlooking the Eel Pond. The Eel Pond sits in the center of Woods Hole and provides moorings and a couple of tiny marinas. The pond is totally enclosed and is entered via a tiny bascule bridge. We have stayed here at a dock in the Woods Hole Marina in the past. “Shuckers” is on the deck overlooking the marina. We choose very simple seafood dishes and everything we eat is fresh and well prepared.

Just next door to Shuckers is “Woods Hole Market & Provisions”. We are pleased to see that this little place has been substantially remodeled since our last visit and appears to be thriving.

Down the road towards the ferry terminal, we visit “Pie in the Sky” bakery and pick up rolls and brioche for breakfast. The Trolley takes us home. Back in Quisset, ice is available on the dock. You pay using the honor system.

On Wednesday, we take the Trolley in the other direction and visit Falmouth where we use the library to get access to the internet, post a few blogs and buy a few bargain books. At the head of Falmouth harbor, the Falmouth Raw Bar serves us a very generous portion of large, perfectly fried scallops. The Windfall Market is just across the street. This is truly a gourmet supermarket, so we stock up and catch a taxi back to Quisset.

This is where we have been for the “next” few days ...
Thursday, Aug 29 - Marion MA
Friday, Aug 30 - Westport MA
Saturday, Aug 31 - At anchor in the Kickemuit River behind Bristol RI
Sunday & Monday, Sep 1 & 2 - Brewers Wickford Cove Marina

Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb