Rainy days in Boston


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Boston
July 20th 2007
Published: July 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Boston has been our favourite place so far - very much a Uni town with a really good feel. We spent a total of four days exploring the place and seeing the sights, but it must have rained on a least two of these days.

We've learnt that a lot of America's history is based around this part of the country and almost always has something to do with the British. Either us invading or the Americans trying to get rid of us.

On the day we arrived we spent the afternoon doing washing (this really made us feel like we were back at uni) and went out for dinner at a Vietnamese resturant and finishing the night off watching the Red Sox getting spanked by Kansas City in a bar.

On our first full day we spent a rained soaked afternoon in a pair of very fetching ponchos doing the 'Freedom Trail', where a park ranger took us round the city and showed us where the Boston Tea Party and Boston Massacre happened, where the Americans were told that the British were coming to attack, as well as where some of the prominant signers of the declaration of independance lived etc. We managed to get free tickets to the cinema that night too. Saw an Adam Sandler film (Laura's favourite!!) called Chuck and Larry - very funny!!

On the second day we went to the port and saw Americas oldest war ship, as well as finishing of the parts of the Freedom trail we missed the previous day. We went up the tower on Bunker's hill - 294 steps on a windy staircase - Laura almost didn't make it up there (even getting overtaken by a fat American!!!) - it got progressively hotter and smellier!

We went to Harvard the day after to see the University and went on the unofficial tour done by the students. Apparently this is much better than the official one and was free, so we were happy. Walked through the posh part of town and went and had a pint at the Cheers bar.

We left the hostel that night to take an overnight bus to Montreal. We'll tell you more about this soon!

Chris and Laura

Advertisement



Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 81; dbt: 0.1037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb