"South for the Winter": Baltimore, MD


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maryland » Baltimore » Inner Harbor
November 7th 2007
Published: November 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Chesapeake City, MD to Baltimore,MD


Nov 7. Baltimore,MD
Vitto had a busy day addressing all the damages caused to the boat by running it under the conditions that we did yesterday.
The entire city of Baltimore is a Maritime Museum. It used to be a main ship maker in the past. The visitors can feel the history in the air. It is not a touristy port like Annapolis and that makes it much more interesting. It is historic and interesting.
The maritime museum city has many faces. There are regular museums in every block of the waterfront but also there is a fleet of different types of ships that have been donated to the city by different entities to be converted into maritime self learning schools and interactive museums. All ships of the fleet are in pristine condition and open to the public. The fleet includes: a submarine, several Navy ships, a Coast Guard ship, a few tugs and some schooners. The different schooners of various sizes are used to teach hands on sailing activities, conservation of the ocean and its species, marine biology, survival, responsibility, stability, boat structures, wood work and so forth. The most important schooner is “Constellation” the Flagship of the African Squadron, the ship that liberated 4000 slaves in 1854. They are located in different parts of the waterfront and some of them are National Landmarks. The city includes a lighthouse that was donated to Baltimore city after it got lifted from its original location on the Chesapeake Bay. Fort McHenry was closed for the winter.

more pics


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0643s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb