World War II Museum - New Orleans


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
March 31st 2013
Published: April 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Sunday - Easter Sunday - we walked to the famous Cafe Dumond for their famed beignets and cafe au lait. There was a huge lineup but we got take out quickly and ate them for our breakfast on a park bench. The famous French donuts smothered in icing sugar were ok but not all they were cracked up to be. We caught the Charles St. trolley and went to the National World War II museum. It is reputedly one of the best WWII museum in the country. There are three pavilions - The Boeing Center with WWII aircraft hanging and 4 levels of walkways where you can view from any angle. (Marv - Larry didn't know where the Douglas SBD was used in the war. Do you?) The Pavilion that has the exhibits of the European campaign, including D Day and the Pavilion of the South Pacific war. We were impressed with the presentation throughout the pavilions. They have used audio and visual which really immersed you into the combats and the way the war unfolded. We went to the 45 minute 4D show "Beyond All Boundaries" a presentation introduced by Tom Hanks which gave an awesome overview of the war and the way it affected all citizens of the world. We would have loved for the grandsons to see and get a real feel of what it was like for their ancestors to live through.

Back to the hotel for a rest and then hopped on the Charles St trolley again to have dinner at "The Irish House" whose famous chef Matt Murphy won "Chopped". It's the TV reality show that gives chef's a basket of food and they have to make something from it and the judges decide on a winner. Great service and menu but we opted for the fish and chips. The place was not busy at all but that may have been because it was 8pm on Easter Sunday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb