New Orleans Instrumental


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
April 30th 2006
Published: May 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The AlamoThe AlamoThe Alamo

In Santa Fe
After leaving Monument Valley there were some long travel days, and stops to different towns for short periods of time.

We stopped in Santa Fe, which was a beautiful little town, and then on to San Antonio, which was a mamoth drive. There we walked along the water canal at night, and eat at the Hard Rock cafe, and then we visited the famous Alamo.

We set off from San Antonio the next morning and made a four hour drive to Houston, and spent the afternoon in the Nasa Johnson space centre. This was a brilliant place with many artifacts including a 3.8 billion year old moon rock that you can touch, some of the original spacecrafts used in the first missions in space, and a tour of the famous control room where all the flight missions were controlled, and where the famous line was born "Houston we have a problem" from Apollo 13. We then drove on to Galveston where we camped the night.

The next morning we packed up again and made the drive to New Orleans, the hurricane savaged city.

As we aproached, you could see trees battered across each forest. Then as we
Houston, We have a problemHouston, We have a problemHouston, We have a problem

Nasa Space Center, Houston. This is where it was all controlled in this very room
got to the City the devastion was clear, street after street, home after home, battered and deserted, and the City very quiet, like a ghost town. The weekend we were here was the weekend of the New Orleans Jazz festival. Many tourists had poured in to the City for the festival, and to celebrate what had been re-opened in the City. The main parts up and running are the tourist areas, The French Quarter and Bourbon Street in particular.

I did a tour around the City and in to the suburbs, and it was gastly. Like a surreal real life movie, just devastation everywhere ,it was quite sad. It will be a long time before the City recovers fully, and there are lots of political issues. Some 250,000 homes were damaged and evacuated.

We spent two days in New Orleans, it was a beautiful place for the areas that were up and running, and it was fantastic to visit the City.






Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Re-New OrleansRe-New Orleans
Re-New Orleans

A now typical home in a street in disaster struck New Orleans
Re-New OrleansRe-New Orleans
Re-New Orleans

See the orange stained water line on these houses? You cant imagine what it would have been like, and even to see it now a year later.
Re-New OrleansRe-New Orleans
Re-New Orleans

And areas of the City still are beautiful
Re-New OrleansRe-New Orleans
Re-New Orleans

But slowly things are returning. Of course they have tourist areas back up and running like here in Bourbon Street


11th May 2006

Thank you
Thank you for spreading the word on the condition of my hometown. Out of sight , out of mind,. America needs to be reminded that all is not well in the gulf south.

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0808s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb