Day 8 - New Orleans Day 1


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
December 29th 2010
Published: January 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Up around 8.30AM for breakfast downstairs which was complimentary. Got there just before closing time and it was basic with toast on offer and cereals and fruit which Kerry said was part frozen. They started closing things down right on 9.30AM.

Got picked up by Louisiana Transport Co in a bus and after picking up a couple of other people from other hotels we stopped outside the Ambassador Hotel where our driver took the micky out of a Russian lady who was running to catch our bus. We waited there for a while as we had to switch to a different bus and the driver cracked a few jokes which was a good way to start the day.

Our next driver was Eugene, and he gave a good commentary as we headed for about 30 minutes to swamp zone. When we arrived we had to wait for about 40 minutes for the tour to start. It cost about $200-00. Much cheaper to drive their yourself as it started at 12.10PM and we took 1.40 to get there for a 30 minute trip.

We did the enclosed boat trip instead of the airboat your as it was blowing a bit. The day started full of sunshine but as we arrived a lot of dark clouds and forecast was for afternoon showers. Temp was about 18 degrees but seemed colder with wind blowing off the water.

Tour was pretty ordinary I thought and would have been just as much fun going on a dinghy along Piggabeen Creek until we finally found a few alligators heads floating in the water. It was like winning the lottery even though we only saw their heads.

The captain then passed around some alligator and crocodile heads so we could see the differences and I was surprised that the alligators eyes looked sidewards (if under attack just stare straight ahead and they won’t see you !).

He then pulled out a live baby alligator which he passed around so the kids could hold and take photo’s. It even cuddled up to Luke. Elise said it was cold and the captain said they are cold blooded (just like women!). No tape around mouth so watch out !

Got back to the room at around 3.00PM and headed straight back out for a few hours to the French Quarter. Headed along Magazine Street across Canal Street to Decatur Street, and saw some nice buildings and went passed some bars / restaurants and went into Huck Finns for a later lunch. Eugene had told us the best dish in NOLA was BBQ Shrimp so Kerry & I ordered different versions of this (she had it on a base of grits and I had it as a Po-Boy). Mine was enough for 3 people but I got through it. It was basically a bread roll stuffed with about 25 prawns and 15 pickles, with fries on the side. Elise had gumbo soup and Luke had a burger (again !). Lots of nice artwork displayed inside and the usual 10 TV screens so you can’t miss another college football bowl game (saw some lady with a Maryland sweater watching Maryland play).

Walked further along Decatur Street and decided to head back to Hotel but went North up a few blocks until we reached Royal Street and then we walked back. This was really cool with nice buildings and more people around as it was getting dusk with lights coming out. Lots more people around and atmosphere building and found Moteleone Hotel which Bruce stayed out. Checked out the lobby which was nice and walked inside a few souvenir shops and bought my licence plate souvenir for Louisiana.

Back to the room and what to do now (it was about 4.30PM). Why not got for a walk up to the Arena to pick up out tickets to the NBA game tonight. Yep the Lakers vs Hornets is the hottest ticket in town. Luke was excited and I was too. Kerry & Elise were happy to come along too. Walked about 10 blocks but was pretty flat and rain was holding off. We were checking out the car licence plates as the kids have now decided to tick off every state on our journey and we found a few new ones including Tennessee.

Got to the venue and a few people were already there. Got the tickets from Will Call quickly and waited outside as doors not opening for 45 minutes until 6.00PM. We watched some kids playing hoops on a temporary court, and then a live band started playing which was great. We even saw them playing Footloose accompanied by about 20 people doing line dancing to it !

Lots of great action happening including the McDonalds dude with a bike helmet with a basketball ring attached to the front and people would throw the ball at him and he had to move his head to score. Only in America !

Joined a huge line of people lining up to enter the arena, and eventually pushed into a new line and in we went up the stairs and Kerry said she had dreamed of this venue six months ago ! I had dreamed of going to an NBA a lot earlier. Seats were great second row on top level on the side of the court.

Game was even in first quarter but Lakers exploded at the start of he second quarter and took game away from the Hornets. Eventually winning 103-88.

Lots of action with every time out or end of quarter with dancers, competitions and the mascot firing t-shirts into the crowd with his gun. Half time we saw Mr Rubber Man who was a contortionist able to do weird things like facing and patting his own bum!

The walk back to the Hotel was windy but rain held off. Got back to the room grabbing some more
Weird SignWeird SignWeird Sign

Can't they start at midnight ?
biscuits from the lobby (they are free after all) and weather channel said a tornado watch was in force for NOLA. A storm then arrived about midnight with heavy rain & wind. But we survived and it happened at night which was good.

A full day of sightseeing tomorrow in New Orleans (NOLA).



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

BBQ Shrimp Po-BoyBBQ Shrimp Po-Boy
BBQ Shrimp Po-Boy

It is basically a bread roll about a foot long and filled with prawns (at least 30 of them in one roll !!!). Locals rave about them.


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0189s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb