Tough times getting to Mardi Gras


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
February 14th 2008
Published: February 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Check the lineCheck the lineCheck the line

the $200 voucher is on one of those planes!! lucky guy. ps: i did ask once delayed if it was too late to take the voucher. what the hey over, i have been told NO before!!!
Mardi Gras came early this year. It was the 5th of Feb. I had a flight to Gulfport, MS. where i had a scheduled pickup. The weather turned sour with high winds and tornado warnings. Immediately upon boarding the plane destined for Houston, we were told there would be a 2 hour ground delay and we were to disembark. We did. There was one lucky person who had volunteered to take a 1.5 hour later flight for a $200 voucher. All of us on our flight were jealous of the luck as that plane left right behind ours, see photo.

Once in Houston, i discovered that my original flight from Houston to Gulfport was not delayed as expected but cancelled. I was already booked on the next flight but it too got cancelled, as did the following flight i was booked on and subsequently all flights to Gulfport. Then i started trying to get to New Orleans, my only goal was to not be stranded in Houston! So I had them book me on the 3PM flight to New Orleans. Actually, that flight was meant to be updated at 3PM. As I had talked to a friend in Nawlins and
at the 'Ball'at the 'Ball'at the 'Ball'

John's daughter Ashley and boyfriend Joseph.
found out that the tornadic weather was there now and that all parades had been cancelled, I was not confident that i would be in the BIG EASY this night.

Then a voice spoke to me from above, not that one-remember atheism. It was a woman on the PA saying that a flight was leaving to Baton Rouge in 10 minutes. I called my buddy John immediately and asked for a pickup and to stay with the family! He enthusiastically said yes and i began my airport run. Actually, i was moving to said gate the entire time i was on the phone with him. Yes, cell phones do come in handy as do headsets, wish i had mine on then.

I got to the gate in time to wait. This reminded me of the hurry up and wait mentality of the marine corps. I did meet a pleasant African woman with a wonderful french accent. The poor dear had flown into New Orleans earlier in the day but her flight to Baton Rouge was cancelled and she was rerouted to Houston. She was only 1 hour from her destination a loonng time ago. As it turned out
Dig the hatDig the hatDig the hat

I had to practically beg Jonathan to borrow his hat! It was his THROW(stuff thrown from the floats)' cash cow'. In other words without the hat young Jonathan was useless-just joking buddy.
it was about 20 minutes before i was booked onto the flight to BR. They were boarding the plane as I was being checked onto the flight.

NO, we were not going anywhere fast. We sat on the tarmac for another hour waiting for them to find lost people running around the Houston airport. Finally, we are wheels up and on our way to BR.

It was another short hours wait for John to navigate the afternoon traffic but we were shortly at a store picking up fried oyster and shrimp poboys as well as boudain(sc) balls. Yummy!

The following four days were spent with John's family doing the Mardi Gras thing. Friday night I was convinced to go to a Ball, a big Shout Out to Steve and Kathryn(sc) for everything. It was a blast and we closed it down at about 3AM. That was followed by parading, eating and general merrymaking through what is now called Lundi Gras-the day before Mardi Gras.

I spent the next few days checking out the gulfcoast of Mississippi with my family in Pass Christian. It is coming back albeit slowly.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Closer stillCloser still
Closer still

who was taking these photos??
John and JonathanJohn and Jonathan
John and Jonathan

on the ferry, to Lundi Gras we go.


Tot: 0.482s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0951s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb