A GREAT READING OF THIS POEM!! you must hear it!


Advertisement
North America
December 25th 2007
Published: December 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It is worth copying the link below, and scrolling down to find the poem as read by berbert beattie, 25dec at 9am. it is just above the cartalk guys hanging out of the window. sorry i couldn't directly link it but it is worth the small effort.

http://www.krcc.org/holiday2006.html#4

listen listen listen i am sure you will all smile and laugh while listening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


DECEMBER 25TH • 9AM • MONDAY Christmas • A Child's Christmas in Wales by Dylan Thomas, read by Herbert Beattie

Dylan Thomas' A Child's Christmas in Wales read by '48 Colorado College alumnus and '77 Honorary PHD recipient Herbert Beattie. The piece comes from a performance Beattie recorded for his son-in-law, Jay Maloney '75, who offered a recording of the piece as a Christmas gift to patrons of Penrose Hospital. The recording has since become a Christmas morning family tradition at the Maloney/Beattie household. And now, KRCC would like to extend this tradition to our listeners.


Herbert BeattieDylan Thomas, a Welsh "singing" poet, wrote the piece in 1954. It appeared in a New Directions collection called Quite Early One Morning. Beattie met Dylan Thomas in New York City at a reading of Thomas' Under Milk Wood. Beattie credits Thomas with stimulating more people to read and listen to poetry than anyone this century. Thomas died at the age of 39, three weeks after Beattie became acquainted with him, from an alcohol induced coma.

Beattie, a noted bass opera singer, debuted at the New York City Opera in 1957, and sang there regularly until 1972 and again from 1980 to 1984. He also toured as a concert artist and performed in operas throughout the United States and Europe. He taught at Syracuse University, Pennsylvania State University, University of Buffalo and Hofstra University. His voice is recognized by general audiences throughout the country on automobile commercials, including the Phil Long Ford commercials in Colorado.

Mr. Beattie generously gave us permission to offer this reading on the web as a live stream and download.

http://www.krcc.org/holiday2006.html#4

Advertisement



Tot: 0.574s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1161s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb