Muffaletta History


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
January 10th 2024
Published: January 4th 2024
Edit Blog Post

From Mashed: The muffuletta is another stellar example of Italian immigrants bringing culinary traditions to a new world of flavor. The sandwich is named after the bread used in its making, a traditional Sicilian round loaf topped with sesame seeds. A muffuletta is built on Italian bread, incorporates Italian meats and cheeses, and was even created by Sicilian immigrants -- yet the same style of sandwich does not exist in Italy. The muffuletta has international origins, but it was born, bred, and schmeared on the streets of New Orleans, one of the country's best sandwich stops.

The story goes like this: Italian laborers would stop in Central Grocery for lunch, enjoying a loaf of bread, meats, cheeses, and an olive salad, perhaps with a few sips of a full-bodied red. Grocery store proprietor Salvatore Lupo thought, why not throw all this deliciousness together? Presto -- the muffuletta was born. Central Grocery is still owned by the Lupo family today, who stay slinging sandwiches as the undisputed champ of muffuletta. The store owes its success to a constant commitment to the process, continuing to slice meats in-house, using only locally baked handmade bread, and favoring the family's Italian Olive Salad recipe. Central grocers have also proven unafraid to grow with the times, working out a nationwide delivery system that ships authentic New Orleans muffuletta to couches around the country.
The muffaletta is layered with Italian cold cuts, including capicola, mortadalla and salami, lots of provolone cheese and a flavor powerhouse olive salad or spread that stands up to all that meat. It's all spread over round Italian bread, and meant to serve a small group.Originally created at the Central Grocery in New Orleans when the enterprising owner suggested that customers place their typical lunch of sliced cured meat and preserved vegetables inside the bread instead of alongside it, the sandwich can now be found all over the city, and indeed the country (in varying degrees of deliciousness). As one of the few foods that actually gets better as it sits around at room temperature, it's ideal party fare. Make a few sandwiches, wrap 'em up, and slice them open as needed. Late-arriving guests will enjoy the best bites.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb