Norris Dam, TN to Kentucky Horse Park, Lexington, KY


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kentucky
October 8th 2011
Published: October 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Saturday, October 8th, 2001 starting mileage at 17896. 67 degrees and clear blue skies at 10:10 am



Drove down to the Norris dam and looked over the spillway. Several men hanging out/parked/spent the night in their trucks in the parking lot. Told Valerie they were looking for work. You can cross over the spillway and down on the other side of the lake. Small marina with numerous houseboats docked at it. There is a $300 fee to put your houseboat in the water here. Not sure how long that is good for, but seems expensive to me.

As we were driving back to Interstate 75 we noticed a cemetery on the right with a sign saying that many of the victims of the Coal Creek Mine disaster of 1902 were buried here. That over 200 men lost their lives and triggered a call for better and safer mining conditions. Got gas at a Pilot Station at the very next exit at Lake City. Mileage at 17907. Gas was $3.159 per gal and we took 22.811 gallons for a total of $72. 06.

Drove up Interstate 75 and crossed into Kentucky and to the town of Berea and then followed the signs to the arts and crafts festival venue. This is a juried show that cost us $5 in donation each and is sponsored by the Kentucky Artist Guild. It was small in size, but just right to cover in an hour or two and the weather was gloriously warm with enough breeze to be really pleasant. The guild had set up tents/stalls on each side of a paved path that wound up into the trees that lead to an amphitheater that is used for a variety of performances. We enjoyed looking at all the art, much of it photographs, pottery, and woodworking. There were several groups of musicians playing old fashion instruments here and there along the path. We bought some peach cobbler from the one vendor selling food. All proceeds going to needy families. Ate lunch in the parking lot in Rosie and then headed back up the road toward Lexington.

We circled Lexington to the north side of the city to where the Kentucky Horse Park is located. Adjacent to the Horse Park is a large campground of over 300 spaces. All of the complete hook-up spots were full, but they had room for us in the “primitive” electric only area. This is all we wanted anyway. Paid $22 with AAA discount. Backed into a line of trees and settled in for the night.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.484s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 14; qc: 39; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb