Kentucky Horse Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kentucky » Lexington
October 9th 2011
Published: October 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sunday, October 9th, Kentucky Horse Park, Lexington, KY Mileage 18074. Gorgeous blue sky. Lovely Fall day.


Watched the riders drive their light buggies and run the course near the campground before we drove down about a block to the entrance to the Horse Park itself. We spent the day until about 3:30 at the horse park.

We took in the museum that plays homage to the horse through the ages by displaying pictures, dioramas, wall hangings, and life size replicas of horses and their interaction with man. Had lunch at their cafeteria and then walked around the park looking at bronze statues of famous horses.

Sat in a small grandstand and watched the Parade of Horses where young costumed women show various breeds of horses in an arena. For example, a young woman dressed like a Highland lassie rode a Fell pony, a paint had a “Indian maiden” on her back, and a quarter-horse a cowgirl. We saw a couple of breeds we weren’t familiar with like the Knabstrupper breed of horse from Denmark and the Pura Raza Espanola Andalusian from Spain. We viewed some famous horses now “put out to pasture” and walked through a cemetery where several famous old racehorses are now buried.

Left the Horse Park and drove up highway 27 through fabulous horse farms. Stopped and looked at Blue Lick State Park where Daniel Boone’s son was killed in a Rev. War Battle. The park is so named as herds of game, mainly buffalo, would come to the area after salt and other minerals and were followed by the Indians who hunted them. The park fee for camping and the way it was laid out was not to our liking, so we drove on to the small town of Maysville on the Ohio River. After a frustrating search, we found the Wal-mart and spent the night in their parking lot. Another RT joined us before we called it a night. Didn’t know them.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb