Location scouting in Overbrook and a day in Topeka, KS


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kansas » Topeka
August 16th 2012
Published: August 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Just outside of Topeka, KS is the small community of Overbrook. The American Legion Post located here has agreed to let me use their UH-1 Huey helicopter on one of my photo-shoots. This will be the third image in the Veteran’s Burdens series and will focus on what our service members left behind in Vietnam, of themselves and the friends made and lost. After spending about an hour there taking test shots and looking at angles, it was time to pack everything up and head to Topeka.



We head west out Highway 56 but instead of taking 75 north, we took a side road that ran parallel to it. Glad we did because just south of Topeka we came across a small park called Wakarusa Park that offered some good photo opportunities and a nice break of sitting in the car. You can see the images below.



On to Topeka. It has become an annual tradition of mine to stop by the Museum of the Kansas National Guard to see the collection of vehicles and aircraft they have sitting out. I like this museum because everything else is where you can get close to it and actually have contact with most things. Today was no different. As with every year, I stopped by and shot a few photos of the helos there. A picnic lunch was enjoyed in the gazebo next to the displays.



This trip was also about doing a couple of things we had not done before while in Topeka. The Kansas Museum of History was a very clean and sharp museum that offered views into the lives of Native Americans and early settlers through the Civil War and into the 60’s and 70’s. From tipis to a steam engine, the museum offers excellent displays and information about life throughout the history of Kansas.



The Holley Museum of Military History (HMMH) is located in the Ramada Inn on SE 6th Avenue. I was not sure what to expect, as I had never heard of this place before. It was a pleasant surprise. Displays showed key moments throughout military and humankind’s history showing, and immense level of detail in all of the miniatures and dioramas. Mr. Mizer, our host, was very knowledgeable about the displays and was well versed in stories about certain pieces of history. I wish I had taken my Nikon D300 instead of my p & s camera to document the displays. The museum is free and asks for donations if you enjoy your visit.



We were home just in time for dinner and the entire day only cost about $55.00 including fuel, and admission.







Kansas Museum of History



6425 SW 6th Avenue
Topeka KS 66615-1099



785-272-8681







Holley Museum of Military History (Inside the Ramada Inn)



420 Southeast 6th Avenue
Topeka, KS 66607
(785) 272-6204


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb