Architecture Overload


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
July 8th 2008
Published: May 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Day Three dawns and guess what? Speck is awake retardedly early (if you have traveled with me before you know this is out of habit for me at home but typical when I escape the confines of Lexington).

Breakfasted and caught up on email I manage to annoy Angela out of her bed and shake a leg. She needs to run and so heads to the hotel gym while I catch a little tv. (ESPN is somehow more special when you don't have cable at home...

Finally we get out the door and head for the rail. We need to catch the El to Oak Park 'cause that's where there are like 11 Frank Lloyd Wright Buildings, I enjoy the architecture and Angela has been reading a book called Loving Frank about his long term affair.

Anyway we get there and sign up for the tour of his home and office and the audio walking tour. The house is really facinating and you can start to see how his design develops as he modifies and adds on to his house. The attention to detail in both his design and the restoration was amazing, including cutting a hole in the wall above the stair off the playroom so that a full size piano could be installed without taking up a great deal of floor space. The office was incredible with the suspended balcony, reliefs, and an octagonal drawing/meeting room that had a twist (about a eighth turn) as it reached the ceiling.

Angela by Frank Lloyd Wright's House Speck by the Marina Pritzker Pavillion

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb