RIHLA #21


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
March 3rd 2012
Published: March 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

1. According to this article, how is modern slavery different from earlier forms of slavery throughout history?

Now a days we don't see people working like the old slave working in the fields, auctions, slave cabins, etc, but slaves are still around today. In today's society the people who are enslaved are the ones forced to work at a job they do not like. The examples they gave in the article are in the commercial sex trade, on farms, in homes, and in factories. These jobs consist of little pay and constant violance.

2. Why does this movement against human sex trafficking connect to the legacy of President Lincoln?

President Lincoln was the one who passed the mancipation Proclamation that freed slave; hence, this movement is against human sex trafficking and connects to Lincoln because they want to stop this current type of slavery.

3. Describe the Polaris project. What do you think about this project?

Polaris is a hotline that runs 24 hours and has 170 languages. This hotline is available for people who suspect of any trafficking or are victims themselves. The hotline was named Polaris after the North Star that guided slaves free along the underground railroad. I think this project is an excellent idea so people have some place or someone to confide in and get the help that they need.

<strong style="font-family: 'Chaparral Pro'; font-size: 12pt;">4. Do you agree with this article – that human sex trafficking is a form of modern day slavery?

Sex trafficking is a form of modern slavery because people are being forced to do something they don't want just like the original slaves. It is unjust and horrible that people can do such things to individuals.

5. In your opinion, can you think of any other examples of modern day slavery?

Not any besides the ones stated in the article.



6. Additional thoughts/questions?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.612s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0577s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 5; ; mem: 1.1mb