The Little Van that Could


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
July 2nd 2010
Published: July 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

We are starting on our long awaited trip down Route 66. I'm sure it has changed since our childhood visions of "The Mother Road". But, that's OK. We are still going to travel all the way to California. Stopping to see as many silly, and not so silly, attractions along the way and to visit friends as well.

We are going to try our hand at "Boondocking" and see if we can do it all the way. For those of of you who don't know, Boondocking is stopping and camping for "free". Rest stops, parking lots, public lands, parks, etc. Since we are self contained and we will, for the most part, only be overnighting we think we can do it. Maybe we'll hate it, but worth a try at saving some money for gas and fun.

Today is July 1 and we have been loading "The Little Van That Could". We (me) are probably taking too much stuff, but we will learn for next time out on a long road trip. It has been a long dream of ours to hit the road in retirement. We have talked about it for years and now we get to live our dream. One of them anyway. The others are still in the bucket for now.

More Later...........

July 2, 2010
We left home this morning at 6:30 and had breakfast in Joliet, IL. then went to the Rt. 66 Welcome Center. Took some pictures and moved on.



In Willmington we saw the Gemini Giant at the Launching Pad Drive-in and the Old Ben Franklin. Moved on to Braidwood to the Polka Dot Drive-in, the Texaco Station in Dwight, IL, Standard Station in Odell, IL. Took a picture of the Original Rt. 66 pavement that runs along side of the new road. In Lexington we took a walk down the Rt. 66 Memory Lane which is the original road turned into a walking/bike path. In Atlanta, IL we saw the Bunyon Giant and in Lincoln, IL the Rt. 66 Little Log Chapel. In Williamsville we stopped at the old filling station for a few pix.

Finally, Stopped for the night in a Cracker Barrell Parking Lot. They have some RV spots in the far end of the lot and gave us permission to overnight. Yummy breakfast in the morning.

See you tomorrow.




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



3rd July 2010

Here We go!
I feel like I'm on vacation with you...Great way for me to travel! And you won't have to make potty stops for me! Let's go ~
3rd July 2010

Great Pics
Hey Andrea, Looks like you all are enjoying yourselves. Have a great 4th weekend! Otis

Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb