Route 66 - Chicago to Elk City


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
September 25th 2007
Published: October 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Collected the bikes today, Saturday (8th) and headed out of Chicago nervous and excited. A big group on the organised tour left about an hour before we did and looked very impressive! Felt a bit like a carry on film with Wayne leading and the three of us behind playing catch up. First night ended up in Lincoln and booked into a Super 8 Motel, breakfast was included and managed to 'get a deal' on the price. Little did we know this would be our regular haunt until Los Angeles. Had food in a large warehouse, drinks spilt over me so my food was free - mad owner - almost ran out of the place!

Sunday (9th) continued journey along Route 66, stopping at Chain of Rocks Bridge which was the old Route 66, stolled along bridge but was baking hot as mid day. Filled up with petrol, using card at pump, only take about $10 at a time. Poured with rain and stopped at petrol station, saw organised tour of bikers go by so must be 'on track'. Also, stopped to take photos of the Gateway Arch in St Louis. Ended up at Lebanon tonight at Super 8. As its Sunday and in a small town not much open, only food Chinese buffet which was closing in 15 minutes! No beer for Wayne!

Monday (10th) first stop at HD shop in Springfield, some got t-shirts, continued along the Historic Route 66 stopping to take photo's and to have a leg stretch. Wayne got his trouser leg caught on the gears and literally fell with the bike over - luckily no damage to either. Raining again which is painful on face at 50 mph! Now arrived in Kansas, only 14 miles in this State so stopped at a Dairy Queen for lunch. Unfortunately, went a little too much on the Historical Route 66 and down a gravel track which was slippy so went really slow. Came out back on normal road after a couple of miles. Speed off to Tulsa as time disappearing and soon get dark and cold! Late arrival at Super 8 but managed to get decent food at pizza and pasta place - very nice garlic bread.

Tuesday (11th) up early, strange day in America as news coverage all about 911. Stopped at HD shop in Tulsa before heading out to Bristow for lunch at Subway and onto Historical Route 66 stopping at Dupew to take photo's, stopping at the Shoe Tree (Shoes hanging from tree!), through Edmund and to El Reno, slight detour on way to Clinton. Sun going down as riding along, very hard to see with sun in eyes as Route 66 heads to the East. Arrived at Clinton's Super 8 and went for food at the Branding Iron next door.

Wednesday (12th) Today didn't go according to plan, filled up at 10.03 and at about 10.20 had accident. Left hand long corner, decided not going to make it, slowed and headed straight for grass, flew over handlebars and bike followed landing on me. Guys came and helped get bike off and people following us and on the Interstate stopped to help. Organised bike tour came passed a few minutes after and the lead guy Steve checked me out (literally) before the paramedics arrived. Upset as thought ruined holiday. Ambulance took to hospital in head and back brace. Luckily only broken small bone in hand near little finger and bone at the top of the Tibia (later found out Fibia). Splints for both and take to Super 8 in Elk City at about 4.30 pm having only done about 25 miles. Wayne and Dean collected my bike but not looking good and discussed best solution. Chris booked a U-haul van to take two of the bikes and to drop off at Santa Fe then hire car for rest of the way with all guys insured to drive so can alternate. Low point food at Subway as couldn't walk far.




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0195s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb